Dogomania

Doing the Impossible? :)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Got another question for all you guys and gals.. I know Im asking the impossible here.. But I have a Cat and a Dog.. The Dog chases the cat arond constantly.. The cat is only about a year or two old.. And they sit there and fight back and fourth.. I can't tell if there fighting or playing.. They hiss and bark at one another but not battle wounds are left..

Anyone ever seen this before? Is there a way to make them nice and calm.. ?? Can we all just get along? :) lol

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='NVMY03GT']Got another question for all you guys and gals.. I know Im asking the impossible here.. But I have a Cat and a Dog.. The Dog chases the cat arond constantly.. The cat is only about a year or two old.. And they sit there and fight back and fourth.. I can't tell if there fighting or playing.. They hiss and bark at one another but not battle wounds are left..

Anyone ever seen this before? Is there a way to make them nice and calm.. ?? Can we all just get along? :) lol[/quote]

So why do you have two animals if not for them to entertain each other :wink:
if there are no real wounds then its probably play as the cat could really do a number on the dog if it wanted to or felt threatened and the dog if its larger than the cat could do serious harm too.

I saw a show once about a guy who claimed he could talk to animals, to prove it out walked a mouse riding on a cat who both were riding on a dog! the guy confessed later that the key to this was as follows

mice feel at home when they can smell them selves, so the guy would put the mouses blanket on the cats back and let him run around for awhile

the cat hated getting his feet wet so during the winter he made the only way possible for the cat to get out of the house to poo was on the dogs back

the dog didn't need anything cuz he was a golden retreiver and we all know they are the nicest dogs on the planet :wink:

I know this doesnt help you at all but you made me think of it :D

Guest Anonymous

A girlfriend of mine with a Pomeranian, married a man with a cat (formerly his daughters). When they got married & moved into a house together, the animals fought for a while. :x
They eventually took turns chasing each other around the house!!! :lol:
It took them a while, but they became friends.
I don't know how often eventual friendship is the case, though.
Which one was there first?
Ask advice from a trainer, Vet, or groomer.
Our baby is an only child.
Good luck!

• 1 month later...

My queensland and my cat used to wrestle all the time! There was no hissing and barking but there was a heck of a lot of running (in my tiny place) claws digging in the carpet - and they'd be rolling around on the floor with the cat "hugging" the dog looking like he was trying to rip her neck out. She'd be very gentle with the cat when she played back. Then they'd break off and the cat would circle sloooowwwly...then POUNCE again. They'd play and play and then they'd find a fly to chase together. They were good friends. The cat would stalk and then pounce on the dog and start a session of funtime! The funny thing was that the reason I got the cat was to train her to like cats - originally, she wanted to kill any cat she saw, even one at a distance. The strategy worked like a charm. She wouldn't think about chasing a cat now - they are A-OK.

Maybe I have too many critters (8 dogs and 5 cats... yup, all in the house). No one seems to stress at all, anymore, when a new critter is introduced. It's to the point now where I can just basically pitch them all in there together and all that happens is an obligatory grumble, a couple of sniffs, "yup, that's a dog/cat, alright," and within half an hour, everyone is sleeping soundly. Dogs sleeping with cats, cats sleeping with dogs... they don't seem to know any better. Maybe I just have a house full of weirdos. :-?

Sounds like you have your own happy little community! do you take all the dogs with you places or do they take turns? I don't think I could do it...two dogs is my max! Of course I have other animals also, but not more than two per species - I think my husband would take off if I did! :lol: