Dogomania

Housetraining without confinment?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got a 6 week old Lab puppy and she is very nice except that she barks when we put her in her the bathroom.Ok.Everything is different since I live in Taiwan and there are no such toys like a Kong, only chewy bones.There aren't plastic crates, only wire cages where the puppy's feet fall through.There are no such things as puppy training pads, so I use newspaper. The reason we put her in the bathroom isnatead of a crate is because they don't have crates, and the reason we don't use a cage is because her feet fall through the wire slits. We put some different chewy bones in the bathroom, and also her water bowl, but she doesn't pay any anttention to anything and barks.She doesn't ever stop until she falls asleep. My grandma threatened to give her away is she kept on barking, so we put her in the livingroom so she wouldn't bark, but then she pees all over the place and there is no hope of eevr training her to pee in the right place.We put newspaper in a cardboard box and put some of her poo in there so she would know that's her potty place, but she still does it everywhere.I want to know, is there a way to stop her barking in the bathroom, or to train her to go potty if she's not confined? She can't go outside to pee because my grandma won't allow it, and also it's two floors down so it's very inconvenient. She's been in the bathroom for 3 days, and I wonder why she hasn't gotten used to it?Please help me, I really don't want her to be given away. :(

you are in quite the predicament.......I only feel confident in addressing your "potty" issue, I've never isolated a puppy in my house before.

I never let the pups see me clean up after them, that way I'm not associated with the one who does the dirty work. or if they see me do it they will know its my "job" and expect me to clean up after them when they are done being yelled at. Poop and pee in the house is an ABSOLUTE NO NO for my dogs and I come down on them with wrath from the heavens when ever they used to do it. My dogs never poop or pee in the house cuz they know its the ONE thing that "dad" FREAKS out about. Dont worry if they yip and yelp its just how puppies are, they will get over it when you are done cleaning and you let them back in the house. however since your dog cant pee in the house I suggest one of 2 things

1) move out of you grandma's house

2) get a pet snake they mostly poop in their water so it is very easy to clean plus, no hair, no bark and no slobber

:lol: glad I could help :lol:

[quote name='eggrolyn'] She can't go outside to pee because my grandma won't allow it, :([/quote]

:o Ok, I'm confused about THIS statement....do you mean she won't EVER allow the dog to go outside to pee? I sure hope not because if this is a Lab puppy,it is going to grow to be a LARGE,very active dog. Are you not planning on taking her out for frequent walks??? (That is no life for a dog that size...or any size for that matter),and ummmm...do you really WANT to train a breed the size of a lab to "go potty" IN the house??...I really don't mean to lecture, because maybe this is normal where you are from, but INCONVENIENCE should never be an excuse or even an ISSUE when it comes to the proper care of your pets...when you buy a dog,you take on that responsibility....I have a large dog, AND I live in an apartment.Six or seven times a day I trek down 2 flights of stairs to take him out to relieve himself and get some exercise....doesn't matter if I don't FEEL like it...or if the weather is bad...it is MY job as a pet owner...bottom line!
I sincerely hope I'm just misunderstanding your post... :-? Please correct me if I misread...

Guest Anonymous

The people here do not keep their dogs indside:They keep them in cages ALL DAY amd have litter pans with newspaper under the cages for the dogz to pee RIGHT THERE.And I'm not going to do that.Of course I'm going to take her for daily walks, but the pet shop owner(I didn't buy the my puppy from her)said that she is too young to go outside right now.I don't know if that's right. I have tried putting her in the bathroom(i know it's not right now)for about 3 days, but she won't get used to it and keeps on barking until she falls asleep. I'm really worried, because everybody(except me)listens to what my grandma tells them to do, and if she says the dog is gooing to be given away, she's not going to be here anymore.So, :(.I don't know what to do.

Guest Anonymous

Fortunately, my Rhodesian Ridgeback was house trained before I got her at 6 months old.
I was a child when we had a purebred German Shepherd with 10 puppies.
So, I don't know how they were house trained.
Our Ruby is taken outside several times a day to pee/poop, and for exercise. We live in an apartment, but we play with her a lot, to expend her energy in a healthy way so she doesn't get any destructive ideas.
I have never heard of a puppy too young to be taken outside.
If it is old enough to have been weaned from the mother, it should be old enough to get leash trained & walked outside.

Are there no grass/dirt areas around to bring it to?
Do you live in a "cement jungle"?
I really think you should take it outside, even if you have to carry it at first, and then sit it down right where you want it to do it's doody.
You will have to have patience.
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like your Grandmother has the same patience or love for this dog. Did she oppose you getting the pet?

If the puppy is freshly weaned, it misses its mother & littermates, and needs to cuddle when sleeping. You may want to line a corner of the bathroom with a towel & put a cuddly stuffed animal in there that it can snuggle with. Some books say that turning on the radio low, or a ticking clock sometimes helps them to calm down.
Puppies need A LOT of attention, love & patience.
I wish you the best of luck.
Please let us know how things go.

Oh, 6 weeks old. She.s still a baby!!!!
Ok, now imagine your the puppy. You're still a baby, barely old enough to be away from your mumma or litter mates. They are all you know and you're not ready to be taken away, barely weaned. One day this big person comes along and takes you away from your securety, warmth, brothers, sisters and mummy then takes you to this place you've never been before - you never even knew that anything but mum and littermates and the room you lived in existed, now you are taken to this strange place and you have no one you know to rely on on snuggle up to when your scared. Then you are locked in a big cold bathroom, that echos and feels, smells and looks wierd and scary. The door is closed and your alone! This is all too overwhelming for a 6 week old puppy.
My suggestion is stay with your pup and spend as much time as you can with it. Take it out AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE to go to the toilet and cuddle it and love it to death every time she goes to the toilet outside and NEVER punish for going inside. You'll only scare the poor thing, rather try to catch it in the act, pick her up, carry her outside, put her down and let her finnish then say "GOOD DOG, YOUR THE BEST DOGGIE IN THE WORLD I LOVE YOU SOSOSO MUCH" when she does. Caught Lily in the act once, after her peeing in the house for months, did this and she never peed in the house again.
Another key is to make a word up, like 'quickly', say it when you want the dog to go to the toilet and when they do praise them.
A 6 week old pup should be taken out AT LEAST once an hour, try to avoid accidents and eventually the pup will learn that when it needs to go that you'll take it outside!
Hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks everybody, but where would I put her when I'm not home?And should Ispend all my time with her when I'm home?Wouldn't that make her ESPECIALLY lonely when I go outside?

Guest Anonymous

I don't know how old you are, but I am assuming that you are a child, and what I'm going to say to you is in no way intended to be mean but it is fact.

Your pup is being set up for failure in all areas w/ the way he's being treated, and in most areas, it borders on neglect and cruelty. Your pup was too young to be taken from its mother and siblings. He must be taken outside to pee every hr. at least (which another person already mentioned). Since it's evident you have a computer, get on line w/pet supply places like DRS. FOSTER & SMITH, R.C. STEELE, OMAHA VACCINE and order a proper sized crate and have it shipped to you. My feeling is if you were able to afford to buy this pup and able to have a computer w/internet access, you can afford to have a crate shipped. It will not be cheap. You can also go on EBAY and look for a used crate (which you will need to disinfect, once it arrives). Your poor pup has no guidelines or rules to follow and your are giving him no socialization. By keeping and treating this pup the way things are going, he is going to become a big problem for your family WHICH IS NOT GOING TO BE HIS FAULT. Dogs/pups do not suddenly know rules and what's expected of them. They have to be taught through consistent repetition and your pup is not receiving that. If you must follow your grandmother's rather idiotic rules, it may be best for your pup (and the kindest thing) to find him a new home. I know none of this is what you wanted to hear, but the welfare of your pup is at stake and that overrides how our heart will feel. I wish you well, but I just can't go along with anything that's taking place with your pup because you live in Taiwan. He needs to be taken outside on a leash.

Guest Anonymous

Ok.I wasn't the one that didn't want to do all this.My dad didn't want to buy a leash because he thought she could just follow us around, and I told him that I don't want a dog walking around unleashed in Taiwan, because it's very dangerous. I asked him if I could take her to training class, but he said she doesn't need to go, because she's a Lab, but i told him that she still needs training, but....I'm sorry anout making all you other people worry about how my dog is being treated, but I don't leave her alone as long as I'm home.

we've told you our opinion, and anymore "help" would only prolong the suffering of the pup,
[b]PLEASE [/b]listen to these people if you're not gonna listen to me......give the dog back, wait a few years till you dont have to listen to your dad and grandma about their twisted opinions on how to raise your dog. It will be better for the pup if he/she just went to a good home where he can be outside and he can be loved ALL the time not just when you happen to be home, and when it does come time to get YOURSELF a dog come back and we will ALL help yo with it, :)

but PLEASE do the right thing......the pup deserves it :)

Guest Anonymous

Eggroll - your not leaving her alone much really has nothing to do with your original post nor the replies to it.

Plain and simple, your dog is not being properly cared for by you and your family. It has no life, it has no chance of being a puppy, it has no chance to grow up to being an obedient, socialized, beloved companion.

And now I'm beginning to believe after your last post about the rest of your family that you may be trolling.

Guest Anonymous

Ok.First of all, there are NO people that keep big dogs inside in this counrty.Absoulutely no one.Only Poms and Yorkies.And little toy doggies.You walk one block away from your house and you see rows of cages with german sheperds, labradors, golden retrievers, and any big dog you can imagine(also, the small mixed breeds), and you think I would want to give my puppy to one of those people to be locked in a cage all day?I've never seen someone walking their dog, only people letting them out of their cages and then putting them back in 5 minutes later, and they don't even supervise them!!They just run around wild in this scary traffic, without a leash and a person next to them!!They train their dogs by hitting them when they see the dogs peeing, either with a stick, newspaper, or with their hands, and they don't give them anythign to play with, and i don't have any idea why the dogs just stay in their cageswithout barking .I know they're lonely and bored.But inhumane treatment has made them learn to be quiet.And my dad agreed to take me to the pet shop today to go buy a leash and he says i can take her out in the front, as long as she doesnt poo in the backyard.(But she just did today, because my grandma wasn't there ).And I tried getting her to go in the "cage with a piece of cardboard" and she's not barking anymore.Idon't know why.There was more room in the bathroom.Maybe it's because she's in the livingroom with me and there's air conditioning.I'm planning to take her out every 2-3 hourse and before i leave the house and after I come back.Thanks for all the (helpful but not very kind)advice.I has helped me to decide some things and I've realized that she is very happy now because she is in he same room as me and she has company(I'm always talking to her even when she's sleeping).I know she'll get all the attention I can give her, whenever I can, and thanks.(I also asked my dad if we could find a trainer when shes older and also attend group obedience classes.If there are any.)

okay the little doggie hell you just described makes me wonder if your not a troll myself, but since I made a promise to not chew people up anymore I'm gonna pretend like everything you said was true,

just because the pup isn't barking anymore it doesnt mean she is "happy" the fact that she is now in a cage while you are in the same room is contrary to what you told us before about how you will always play with her when you were home, which tells me that you have already gotten tired of the responsbility of owning a dog and you are starting to, cop out. we also distinctly told you that she needs to go out EVERY HOUR not every 2-3 this is not a negotiation, its a requirement for your puppy.

[quote]snip....You walk one block away from your house and you see rows of cages....(snip) you think I would want to give my puppy to one of those people to be [b]locked in a cage all day[/b].....(snip)...They just [b]run [/b]around [b]wild [/b]in this scary traffic, [/quote]

not to be picky here, but which is it? do they stay locked up ALL DAY or do they RUN WILD?
Why exactly did you choose a lab? why not a pom or other small "house" dog if you knew he could not go outside?

you guys need to warn me, in your thousands of posts experience if there is a troll amung us

most of the time it will take me a minute to evaluate multiple posts before I decide BUT IF YOU KNOW ALREADY TELL ME then I dont look like the moron who fel for it :roll:

I also think it is perfectly ok for me to chew up trolls and sh1t them out, :) :x :)

You guys are being mean for no reason.To the person who called me a TROLL , I meant that when they were let out for a short period of time they were allowed to run wild(when they are let out to eat). I think everybody that agreed that I am a troll should come visit Taiwan whenever you have a chance, since you won't think I'm a troll anymore, but all the other people in Taiwan. Duck (and don't criticize me for calling my dog Duck, because she is my dog and I can call her whatever I want) is in my house now, happy, unless I'm blind, with me in the livingroom.She is sleeping by the door right now, and the airconditioner is turned on(not for my sake, but for hers). She is fed 4 times a day, with the right amount of food, and she has lots of toys(and my company when I'm home). Even though she's only 6 weeks old(don't criticize me for taking her that early, either, because you can't buy a dog that's been with the breeder for 8 weeks in Taiwan), she knows that she must sit in order to get her food, and also to get anything, for that matter. She comes when I call her, even from another room, and she gets lots of exercise everyday(I also play with her EVERYDAY).AND she gets taken out about every 30 minutes, or whenever she looks like going peepee. She is now allowed in the backyard and to pee on the grass, so no more papertraining for her.The only problem left is barking. People say that for housetraining, you have to crate the pup when you are not home, and that's what I did(don't worry, she's always out of the crate when I'm home), and I've been doing that for 2-3 days now, but she still barks until she falls asleep.I don't know what to do, because even the neighbors are complaining now.

okay troll quit asking the same freakin questions because we answered them already just in case you dont remember I'll restate them in terms you can understand

1 GET RID OF THE DOG
or
2 MOVE OUT OF DADDIES' HOUSE OR GRAMMA OR WHOEVER
or and this is the best choice
3GET THE HELL OUT OF TAIWAIN

now if you dont like these choices go to dogomania tawain or someother Taiwain forum. because we think you are torturing your dog. just because she looks happy does not mean she IS

a person getting zapped by 100,000 volts sure likes 25,000 better but it is still 25,000 volts. ok my point: your dog does not know what is best, WE DO! you came for our advice we gave it to you.....

Guest Anonymous

I think your a VERY nice person. Gosh can't you understand? I KNOW she is happy.I KNOW DOGS, OK? JUST BECAUSE I'M ASKING YOU NOT-ANSWERING-VERY-NICE-PEOPLE DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT DOGS.I GUESS YOUR JUST ALWAYS GOING TO BE THIS MEAN PERSON.JUST GET THIS: MY DOG IS LEADING AN-ALMOST NORMAL HAPPY PUPPY LIFE, OK?AND I WASN'T ASKING YOU.I WAS ASKING SOME NICER PEOPLE.BYEBYE DEEPSEASNAKE