Dogomania

Basenji

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've always had an interest in the basenji...does anyone know much about them? I've read about them and have seen ONE and breifly talked to the owner who adored him. Anyone know any from personal experience?

YES!!!! :D :D :D :D
You know I thought you were cool ever since you came on here with one of my all time fave breeds, Shiba's, and now you ask about Basenji's!!! :D
They have been a family favourite since years before we got our first Basenji cross, Connie. Although she was half standard foxie, she was very very much like a Basenji in many ways, the way she would yodel in the backyard whenever she was by herself, the way she always had to be right, her cunningness and her brilliant rabbit catching techniques! We lived on a property and every second day she would go off for a run and come back with a rabbit! She was only 4 months old!!! How we loved that dog, if you go to my web page and look at the other dogs page you will see a picture of her and also read the story of our tragic loss when she was merley 6 months old :cry: :cry: :cry:
If you want to know anything else just let me know because I've also done years of research on the breed! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

ooooo i love basenjis!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think they have faces, they are pretty dogs!
well basenjis cant exactly bark, they have kindof like a howl i think
have u ever seen basenji pups? they are soo cute and cuddly! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gigishiba']I've always had an interest in the basenji...does anyone know much about them? I've read about them and have seen ONE and breifly talked to the owner who adored him. Anyone know any from personal experience?[/quote]

two things were told me when I was checking the breed out years ago
1) they can never be let off lead as they will run and never be recaptured without a live trap as they can be innately feral in nature
2) you will never have a towel or sheet without a hole in the center again
Number two I believe ;-)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']YES!!!! :D :D :D :D
You know I thought you were cool ever since you came on here with one of my all time fave breeds, Shiba's, and now you ask about Basenji's!!! :D
They have been a family favourite since years before we got our first Basenji cross, Connie. Although she was half standard foxie, she was very very much like a Basenji in many ways, the way she would yodel in the backyard whenever she was by herself, the way she always had to be right, her cunningness and her brilliant rabbit catching techniques! We lived on a property and every second day she would go off for a run and come back with a rabbit! She was only 4 months old!!! How we loved that dog, if you go to my web page and look at the other dogs page you will see a picture of her and also read the story of our tragic loss when she was merley 6 months old :cry: :cry: :cry:
If you want to know anything else just let me know because I've also done years of research on the breed! :wink:[/quote]

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! Ya know, 2 yrs ago when my husband and I decided to get our first dog (we finally bought a house), we did a lot of research first. It came down to a tie between the Shiba and the Basenji! The Basenji seemed to have more energy than the Shiba. While we have a [size=6]nice [/size]sized back yard, all fenced in, I think the Basenji would require more than that...one of the reasons we didn't get a bigger dog. Sure, daily walks aren't a problem but I didn't feel that they would have quite enough room to run the the back. :( SOOOO Kenzo, then Kika, it was! :wink:
Sorry to hear about Connie. :( She was beautiful. Please fill me in with anything else about the breed. I'd love to know more!! :P

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='buttercup1004']ooooo i love basenjis!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think they have faces, they are pretty dogs!
well basenjis cant exactly bark, they have kindof like a howl i think
have u ever seen basenji pups? they are soo cute and cuddly! :lol:[/quote]

No I haven't, but you've inspired me to look around on the web for a pix of one! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='gigishiba']I've always had an interest in the basenji...does anyone know much about them? I've read about them and have seen ONE and breifly talked to the owner who adored him. Anyone know any from personal experience?[/quote]

two things were told me when I was checking the breed out years ago
1) they can never be let off lead as they will run and never be recaptured without a live trap as they can be innately feral in nature
2) you will never have a towel or sheet without a hole in the center again
Number two I believe ;-)[/quote]

Ahhh...sounds like my two monsters....can't be off a leash either unless in the fenced in yard....We can get them back though...takes some work! Actually, they've gotten better as they've gotten older (2 & 4). Kika was almost 3 when we got her but she had to start all over to learn about US! I was so proud of Kenzo earlier this summer! I was in the back yard with the dogs, talking to the neighbors. I went inside for a minute, came back out and the lady said that her husband went to get Kenzo from the OTHER neighbors yard. I was shocked! Didn't know how he got out! I did a whole yard check and couldn't find a spot for sure but was suspicious of a couple areas...part of the yard is wooden fence and part is chain link. None, except conneting to our house, is ours. The next day I was getting ready for work and wondered where the booger was. Normally he goes outside, does his business, comes back in and then yodels at me until I give him lots of lovin'. Not today! So, I go outside (showered, but back in jammies till I decided what to wear) to look for him. Can't see him, so I call for him. He runs to the gate to get IN to the back yard. I go over and let him in. That he didn't take of running was a shock in itself, let alone him come back to the gate! Went back inside for a minute, then snuck to the back door to watch him to see if I could find his escape route. No Kenzo. So, out the door I go again and call his name. Sure as $hit, he's in the neighbor's yard again (along the wooden fence). I yelled at him and he started whining to get back on HIS side of the fence. I grabed him and pulled him over. THEN, I go back insided, then sneak to the back door to watch....and I see where he's getting out! :x I run outside, but by that time he's already in the neighbor's yard again. SO, I have to run all the way around the front side of the house, still in jammies, to get him...and along comes some man walking his dog...MALE dog (Shibas are same sex agressive). About the same time the man/dog is in Kenzo sight, I've got him in my site. Kenzo starts charging for this pointer mix (much bigger than him), and I yelled his name sternly. He came right to me. I about crapped!

That's my proud Kenzo moment. :wink:

Sorry for being so long winded!!!!!!!!

Yes, Basenjis are very human like 8)
So gigi, where was he getting out? Hope you gave him an extra special treat when you got him inside after his amazing return!!! :D
You've gotta make sure you have a REALLY good fence before you get a basenji. Connie never took to climbing, but when we went to pick her up from the kennels one day she was housed with another Basenji who was climbing the 7 foot cage door!!! So you've gotta make sure you have an agle up the top of the fence so the dog can't climb out! :wink:
Also, you probably already know they can't bark, but did you no they have no doggie odour, wash their faces like a cat and are virtually hyper allergenic?
And they are definatly alot of character in a small package!!! They think they are cats, many people have come home to their Basenjis climbing curtains etc so never a dull moment.
I could talk about Basenjis all day!!!! Gotta love 'em :D
Although they are certainly not an off lead breed, nor will they ever excell in obedience, let alone sit on command without good reason! I would have to disagree with "1) they can never be let off lead as they will run and never be recaptured without a live trap as they can be innately feral in nature". They will chase a rabbit for hours and be very stubborn indeed, but they will come back, and are certainly not feral.
They will outwit you many times a day. Connie worked out how to unlatch and open our gate, then we would have to chase her for ages to get her back, no traps needed :wink: So we padlocked that gate. The other gate is so tought that I can barely open it, thats the one she was let out of by those evil evil people.
Never let a Basenji near a road unleashed as they have absolutly no road sence, even if trained to sit before crossing every time. On that topic just wanna boast about Tessa :wink: The other day I got her to sit like always. There was a truck comming that I thought we could beat, but obviously Tessa thought otherwise, because when I said cross and crossed with Puddles and Lily I turned around and Tessa wasn't there! The truck passed and there I saw Tessa waiting patiently for the truck to pass and then she casually trotted across!!! What a smart doggie :D I've also come home to her many times when she used to jump the fence sitting on the side of the road waiting for cars to pass!
Anyway, now that I've talked your ears off :D
I agree, go and see some puppys, their tails uncurl when they sleep! :wink: (having visions of pure cuteness)

[quote name='Aroura'] wash their faces like a cat [/quote]

Aroura, have you noticed that characteristic in LILY too? Boxers seem to have a lot of cat like tendancies when it comes to grooming ...its interesting to know that Basenjis do the same!. I've also noticed that Loki SLEEPS like a cat...either all hunched up in a ball, or sprawled out on his back.....LOL

Guest Anonymous

He was getting out where the wooden fence met the chain link, in a corner! Little STINKER! Oh, he got a LOT of praise and LOVIN' when he came RIGHT back to me. I didn't treat him right away cuz I didn't want to confuse him with "am I getting rewarded for getting out, or for coming back???". He is such a special dog with SO much personality. We love both SOO much, but there is just something about him....She's a sweetheart, but we got her at almost 3 and she has a show career before, so I'm not sure how her pet type of life was before. I think she was more of a kennel dog. We've had her for a year and a half now and she's just recently starting to show her personality. Don't get me wrong, she sure warmed up to us right away, but now she's becoming more fun! RARELY plays, though. Hubby will try to play with her the same way he plays with Kenzo, but she just doesn't get it....even though she is RIGHT there watching him and Kenzo play!

Kenzo could easily jump our fence if he tried, but I don't think he's figured that out. Plus, we have nothing close enough to the fence for him to climb up on and then jump out.

Shibas are a lot like basenjis....they clean their faces too, and any other body part they can reach! They are pretty odor free as well, until they roll in a dead "catch"! :wink:

Very cat like was well, but not curtain climbers! :lol:

As for a better fence for the basenji, unfortunately, we don't own the fences on our yard, so we can't modify. But, I have quite some time left (I HOPE) with our babies (2 & 4) and since they are same sex aggressive, wont be getting any others :( . But, before ours cross that bridge, we'll have a different house with a nice tall privacy fence! :wink:

That's some amazing "dog tails" you have told!!!!!! You must be so proud!

Boxers do sleep in some of the funniest positions, one of Lilys faves in in my bed under my blankets with her paws wrapped around my neck cuddling me and breathing, burping and snoring in my face!!! :lol: She's done this since the first day I got her home :D
I think thats what drew me to Boxers, they are like a big slobbery basenji. Their short tan (or brindled) coats, white markings, charactoristics, cleanliness (although they can also be very unclean when they want to be!), stubborness, athletic body etc etc etc. They really are very similar breeds dispite their different size etc!
Does Smooshie bark? I seriously doubted if Lily even had a bark box until the other day! I say bark box because apart from barking she's a VERY vocal dog!!! She doesn't 'whine', she kind of yowls so the whole neighbourhood can hear and thinks we are mistreating her, you should hear her at bath time! :oops:

Loki NEVER barks....except at the vacuum :roll: .....he whines if he wants something, and on a couple of occasions he has growled (when he felt I was being threatened). I had him 3 weeks before I ever heard him make a SOUND...I was seriously beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with his vocal chords.....lol

Oh gawd, and I can TOTALLY relate to the bed thing.........his favorite spot is under the covers, snuggled between my husband and I, with his big drooly head on my pillow :-?

Gigi, I am EXTREMELY proud of both my dogs, and could easily boast about them all day, but I guess any owner who loves their dog is exactly the same, hmmm, maybe I should post a boast topic for everyone to boast in! :wink:

Smooshie, until last week I had a single bed. Lilys getting to be a big girl, so its a good thing I love her enough to put up with being pushed out of bed all night!!!! But thankfully I got a queen sized bed the other day so theres plenty of room for me, Tessa AND Lily, plus all my stuffed toys and anything else that may be sitting on my bed! :P
Hey smoosh, does your dog have ANY doggie odour? Most dogs have at least a tiny odour to them, but Lily has ABSOLUTLY no doggie odour whatsoever! It amazes me, her fur smells almost like cat fur, you know that smell of absolutly nothing but hair? It amazes me, because its winter and I havn't bathed her in months and you could never tell! Tessa barely smells, just a little odour after not being bathed for a long time but Puddles on the other hand, my sisters poodle cross reeks two days after a bath! :lol:

Ughh! Tell me about that breath! :o
I know all about it, especially when she snuggles in bed with me and has to have her nose against mine or she's just not happy! Its like she knows she has bad breath and purposly breaths in my face all the time! Good thing she's so damn cute and irrisistable or I might not put up with it. :lol:
Does your dog do the thing where they wake up, comes and sits directly infront of you then looks you straight in the eye and burps? Lily does that at least every few days, I've never known a dog to burp so much! Ah, can't help but love her for it though! :wink:

Do shibas burp too? Aww how cute! :wink:
Its especially funny when she does it at dinner time, everyones trying to enjoy their meal and Lily comes and sits infront of everyone and burps, the wierdest thing is she'll never do it unless she's looking straight in someones eyes! :o
BTW, love the new shiba pics! :D

Guest Anonymous

Thanks (pix)!

Yeah, one of their two known hereditary defects (ouch) is gas/puking...and then, this is kinda gross, he'll be sitting on the top of the back of the couch looking out the window, with his butt at me and I'll hear this little breaking of wind. Brat. At least they are usually odorless, like their coat! :wink:

Lily farts alot too, very loudly too! But they rarely smell, thank god.
Tessa on the other hand lets off these ripper silent but deadly farts. You hear this little 'phwet' noise and thats when you know to run for you life to the next room!
When I first saw the post "poisonous gasses" thats what I thought it must have been about! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']Lily farts alot too, very loudly too! But they rarely smell, thank god.
Tessa on the other hand lets off these ripper silent but deadly farts. You hear this little 'phwet' noise and thats when you know to run for you life to the next room!
When I first saw the post "poisonous gasses" thats what I thought it must have been about! :lol:[/quote]

That's Kenzo...the phwet noise, but they aren't deadly...only every once in a while do we have to deal with the stench! :wink:

• 2 years later...