Dogomania

Dogs dont' get along

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello,

My dogs are neutered males. the oldest one has never been "playful" with others but has never fought them either. Now the new dog has come along, and they are fighting. At first I thought they would establish a pecking order and get over it but it is getting worse (over about 5 weeks). They have already bitten me (not a bad bite) as I didn't get out of the way fast enough. I have started separating them at mealtimes and at bedtime but it is a pain. WHY CANT THEY JUST GET ALONG?

Suggestions?

Well Corgilady,

There are many reasons as to why they can not get along the most and foremost is probably jealously.
One thing i always suggest is writing a diary when things happen the surroundings etc, often a reaslon appears out of no where. good luck
Roo

Hi,

sorry K I thought I had chanted my "2 Corgis and a mutt" so often everyone was sick of it... :oops: ...then my computer froze, then my name was gone.....

Toby, "top dog" Corgi, age 4

Fella, 2nd in command Corgi, age 3

Toffee, Aussie or aussie/sheltie or border collie, "around" 1 year old

Thanks roo, i will try keeping a log....If I were to write it down, it would be mostly fights surrounding my presence, although sometimes the kids tell me they fought when I wasn't at home. It also happens more often when food is around (even when I am just handing out treats). They are not discriminating and will bite whatever gets in the way!!! They fight both indoors and outdoors. Even when Toffee lets Toby herd him to the back door, and he lays down, Toby isn't satified and stands over him growling. Toby now has a mark on his eye and a bitten ear.

I do not like separating them but also don't like what's going on.... :cry:

CORGILADY, hopefully with a name this time (otherwise how will I ever get a paw????)

Well, its lovely and sunny outside and soo warm...

Unfortunately I am chained to the computer monitor learning to programme (don't ask :evil: ) and I am not getting to see ANY of it! Also the air conditioning in here is set to arctic.. brrrrrrr!! :o

Look I am soo shocked over what Beagle did- has this kinda thing happened here before? Every1 else seems to be taking it so well!!

Is that the one where she left? Yeah, I was amazed.. I thought we had a stable little community, okay we don't always agree but...

Sorry the post is SMALL DOG in this vicinity....

I am through working now, just abusing the web connection before I head on home....

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='corgilady']yoooo-hoooo.....could really use some help here.....the topic? Remember????? Preferably BEFORE they kill each other! :wink: Thanks![/quote]

if it is really escallating like that you IMO need in person help from a real behaviorist who can observe you and your dogs and help you work out what is wrong
it may be what is wrong is that you brought home the wrong dog and expected another wrong dog to be happy about it
not all animals get along anymore than all people do

Guest Anonymous

Ummmm......what did Beagle do??!! :o

I have been looking for "small dogs" for sooo long and can't find it..... :(

I would REALLY like to know what happned cuz i'm the nosy kind... :oops: :wink: hehe....

Anyway...plz someone help?!

-Goldenluver!

I'm a big fan of Alpha wolfness for the tough problems above possitve enforcment (treats) sounds like your problem is already improving so no need for my advise but I'll tell you about the Akitas

in my opinion Akitas are the WORST. now granted I've only known 4 or 5 but they all are missbehaving tyrannts, if I owned an akita it would have to be on a huge piece of land,

but anyway me and a friend moved in together for awhile to do some construction work on a house and he had 2 akitas that were at eachothers throats 24 7. We tried alot to get them to mellow out to no avail so we decieded to take matters in our own hands and retake our house.

we were ruff with them if they fought he or I was right there really fast we'd grabem by the scruff of thier neck lift them into the air, just till their feet were off the ground (something about animals and not having all four feet on the ground) and then we'd put them back down and hold them on the ground while YELLING. It all looked very drastic and I'm sure the dogs were scared, but that was the point. we never hurt them and they never cried. but the fighting did stop while we were around. They never liked eachother but at least they didnt fight

this is just a small part of a huge problem with those dogs and that owner the whole family now 3 dogs 1 guy is a bit disfunctional and he wont hear anything anyone says to him about his dogs.

LOL snake....none of us ever listen, do we?

yep that's about how I had to act....not as drastic since mine are fairly small and a little more laid back ....also didn't want to scare the new guy, who could be made shy if you were too hard on him I think. Usually when I am mad, I don't even have to say it. I can walk into the room and they scatter. That day I roared (barked? snarled?). They got the point.

Hey K....did you notice I took your advice and it worked....THANKS!!!!! :D

[quote name='deepseasnake']I'm a big fan of Alpha wolfness for the tough problems above possitve enforcment (treats) sounds like your problem is already improving so no need for my advise but I'll tell you about the Akitas

in my opinion Akitas are the WORST. now granted I've only known 4 or 5 but they all are missbehaving tyrannts, if I owned an akita it would have to be on a huge piece of land,

but anyway me and a friend moved in together for awhile to do some construction work on a house and he had 2 akitas that were at eachothers throats 24 7. We tried alot to get them to mellow out to no avail so we decieded to take matters in our own hands and retake our house.

we were ruff with them if they fought he or I was right there really fast we'd grabem by the scruff of thier neck lift them into the air, just till their feet were off the ground (something about animals and not having all four feet on the ground) and then we'd put them back down and hold them on the ground while YELLING. It all looked very drastic and I'm sure the dogs were scared, but that was the point. we never hurt them and they never cried. but the fighting did stop while we were around. They never liked eachother but at least they didnt fight

this is just a small part of a huge problem with those dogs and that owner the whole family now 3 dogs 1 guy is a bit disfunctional and he wont hear anything anyone says to him about his dogs.[/quote]

My ex boyfriend had a Dane/Lab/GSD cross with dominance issues....we took him to a trainer who gave us similar advice.....get him on his back ,either on the floor or up against the wall and hold him until he stops struggling,tucks tail and submits (NOT an easy feat with a 140 lb dog) BUT we did it and it worked like a charm...only had to do it twice...after that he never tried to bully either of us again....

[quote name='K']hold them down until they stop struggling and then they have admitted you are the boss in this "pack" (supposedly works a charm if you hold them by the throat with your teeth!)[/quote]

LOL K........now THERE'S a visual! (cough cough.....Hairball! :wink: )

well thank you very much but I won't be using my TEETH!!! :roll:

Seriously, my new dog(Aussie cross?) seems to have a bit of agression sometimes. he put his mouth on my daughter today....not exactly a bite but "growl, snarl, chomp gently on the arm". A warning, I guess. Also the vet's assistant picked him up and he growled at her too. I could say well, she just bent over and snatched him up and it startled him, but I hate to be someone who makes excuses for a bad dog!

Corgilady, who is a little uppity now that she got a PAW

you made me think of this it was kinda funny in a "no sh*t what were you thinking kinda way

I once saw a news show about a police dog assigned to live at an elementry school to sniff out drugs and guns that could get hidden in the woods of the school.
at the end of the show the reporter gave his closing line and bent down to pet the dog. As he was coming down the dog lurched forward and bit the reporter from forehead to chin. The reason, the dog was trained that if at anytime someone went to choke him he was to respond and defend himself. The reporter unknowingly put both hands on the dogs throat. oops glad it wasnt a kid trying to pet the doggie

Guest Anonymous

I have heard some ausssies can be people agressive... never seen it in any of the dozens of aussies that I have met except once. It was Hazels dad. And I don't know if I wrote on this forum about this but I did tell my mom, because it disturbed me so much, especially since I liked the breeder and respected her opinion... She had one of those shock collars on him to keep him under controle, but if you saw the fear in the eyes of the dog the way he drooped unnaturally in the submissive posture. She didn't use it excessively or in a way that was "wrong" ( I just plain do not agree with these things!!!!! :evil: ) Well as I was leaving he leaped into my van, the breeder tried to call him out but he wouldn't come so she zapped him. She tried again and still he wouldn't come out, so I asked her to stop and let me try. I came up to him at his level, so as not to frieghten him and petted him gently on the head, the look in his eyes..., and then I gave a gentle tug on his collar, and this growl came from him low and deep inside... and I let go, astonished that this same dog had let my children crawl all over him just minuets ago! So I told her to try again. She upped the power and her flew out of the van and to the door stop... :cry: You could see it, nothing but fear, and perhaps corgilady that is why your dog is acting the way he is. He is unsure of himself, and fearful of new people, which is common in ausssies... he just needs a little reasurance from his mom.
Hope this helped!