Dogomania

Dog breeds

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='~*Dog Lover~*']What dog breeds make the best watch dogs? I really just want a dog that barkd when someone comes, but we protect me if needed.[/quote]

You can probably find a mixbred at your local shelter that will do that just fine - go take a look - you know there are so many nice dogs in shelters in your area that people are importing them to other states for adoption there!

Dont get a Boxer!!!! They wouldn't bark if their life depended on it... I don't know about the rest of them but Lily certainly wouldn't!!!
Yeah, any mix from the shelter, Tessa is probably one of the most talented dogs in the world and she was only a $20 mutt from the pound. We think shes a Bull Terrier/kelpie/cattle dog mix, she knows about 50 tricks (no exageration) and does extremely well in agility, best in Armidale. She's a great family dog, excellent with kids and also makes a good guard dog. Just goes to show, some of the best dogs are those "one day to live" mutts at the pound. :)

Guest Anonymous

well shepherds are realy good guarddogs and so are dobermans but dobermans can get agressive but if trained and loved they wont
even small dogs are good too like the bull terrier its not big but its protective
if u realy cant decide help a homeless dog in the shelter and pick a dog that u think taht is a good watchdog
do u want a puppy to train from or a grown dog?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I was watching this t.v. show on the best guard dogs, and top five were
1. Bull Mastiff
2. Doberman
3.Rott
4.German shepard
5. Shar Pei

I agree with check at the shelter! Many a mix there will be partly one or more of the breeds known for their watchdog capability. Also, I believe that once a rescued dog realizes that he/she finally has a HOME for good, they are quite willing to defend their new place.
The best watch dog at this house is Candy, the little blonde busybody. She's part lab, part terrier, part ???? She's very alert and will sound the alarm with gusto. This of course tells the older dogs that somethings up, Brittany rarely barks so when she does I really want to see why. Jesse will bark if someone comes in the yard and he's rather imposing to strangers. One poor kid just trying to sell magazines ran like heck when I opened the door and he saw Jesse through the screendoor glass grinning at him. And yes, Jesse was just grinning at that point. He was curious not ferocious but I can understand why the kid thought otherwise.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='buttercup1004']well shepherds are realy good guarddogs and so are dobermans but dobermans can get agressive but if trained and loved they wont
even small dogs are good too like the bull terrier its not big but its protective
if u realy cant decide help a homeless dog in the shelter and pick a dog that u think taht is a good watchdog
do u want a puppy to train from or a grown dog?[/quote]

Buttercup-

All dogs can be aggressive if not trained correctly. Most dog bites come from the small breeds due to them being scared. I would recommend a Doberman only to people that would take the time to train and love him/her.
My not so little Onyx is very well trained and loving of people. We have 2 kids(6 & 10 yr) and they can take anything (bone, food bowl, or candy wrapper he pickup) away from him, that is if they can catch him :wink: .

Guest Anonymous

I agree on rescuing a dog from the shelter or a dog rescue group.
There are so many online that you can even see pictures before you contact them to go see in person.
We adopted Ruby from Atlanta Pet Rescue. They saved her from the pound. They normally don't take on large breeds, but she has such a great temperament, they couldn't resist. And, boy am I glad! :D
She had 2 foster moms before we met her, and we fell in love.
Thankfully, I was able to ask the "foster moms" some questions about her, since she was living in their homes for a while.
She had just been spayed, given her shots & was 6 months old when we adopted her. It has been a wonderful 4 months full of learning experiences for us both.
The first couple weeks she missed her doggie playmates, and we were the 5th home she had (at least), so she didn't pay much attention to the pizza delivery guy. Once she realized that she wasn't going to be shuffled around anymore, and she had a REAL HOME, she found her voice & offers a scary bark to noises at the door. She is a good guard dog, but great with children & a joy to take on walks in the park, to a festival, etc.
She loves to ride in the car, because we take her to the pet stores, parks, on some errands. Some dogs only go for a ride in the car when taken to the V E T, and they know it! :(
Do some research about what type of dog is best for your living situation, and you can steer towards that type when you find them.
The ASPCE Complete Guide to dogs is a fabulous book for someone looking for a dog. It is even online through a link in PetSmart's website!
It lists 150 breeds with pictures & info on each one: grooming, exercise needs, size/height/weight/life-span, good watchdog, good with kids, high energy, etc. It also has information about caring for your dog, training + history. It has helped us immeasurably.
Well, good luck in your search, and may the right dog choose you!

Another good resource is: [url]http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/selectapet.html[/url]
You type in your lifestyle, and the particular characteristics that the dog you want should have (eg. shorthaired), and it gives you a list of breeds based on your selections.
Hope this helps.