Dogomania

Heart Worm???

Guest Anonymous

Here in the southeast, heartworms are a major threat. In fact, according to my vet, a dog here without prevention stands a greater chance of getting heartworms than not. It seems to be almost a certainty. We keep our dogs on heartworm prevention year round and, as recommended, have heartworm tests done every other year. We haven't had a dog come up positive yet, but it does occasionally happen that even dogs on prevention can get heartworms. It's just that big a threat here with the major humidity and lots of standing water and mosquitoes. The 'skeeters here are unbelievable! :-?

When I was visiting the humane society last week here in Michigan there were about 6 dogs on heartworm medication. I know that all the vets here recommend year round protection and a yearly test. My vet even wanted me to start our 2 indoor cats on preventative meds, but I'm having a hard time with that decision. I have had indoor cats all my life in the midwest and heve never heard of them getting heartworm.

Guest Anonymous

[b]All I can say is Wow to what has been said here!!! Absolutely amazing what can happen to our best friends depending where you live. [b][/b]

Guest Anonymous

McKenzie's dad had to be put down for heart worms. It was so sad. So McKenzie is on heart worm med's. I wouldn't know what to do if anything happened to her, so I bought them!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='The Hulkster, Hollywood!']Have any of you known of any dogs getting heart worms where you live?

Respectfully,

-Hollywood[/quote]

My vet claims that any dogs in the northeast that do not get preventative normally are heartworm infected by the time they are 5 years old.
I started my pups on interceptor at 7 weeks old.

Guest Anonymous

Can dogs get heart worm from ticks?? I know they can get Lyme Disease but what about heart worm? My dogs have never had one tick on their body untill the dog show I found one on Fred and of corse pulled it off immediently..I am worried he might get something... he has all of his shots.. but being the beagle mom that I am.. well still worried.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']Can dogs get heart worm from ticks?? I know they can get Lyme Disease but what about heart worm? My dogs have never had one tick on their body untill the dog show I found one on Fred and of corse pulled it off immediently..I am worried he might get something... he has all of his shots.. but being the beagle mom that I am.. well still worried.[/quote]

nope mosquito is the vector of choice for heartworms
There are several tick carried diseases but from what I have read it takes time for them to pass the spirochetes into the dog's blood stream so if you took care of it quickly should be no problem.
if Frontline is too pricey for you how about the Amitraz collars either Preventic or Tick Arrest ? - see [url]www.neserum.com[/url] for the latter at a reasonable price

Guest Anonymous

k
I live in northwest washington and there are no recomendations to treat for heartworm. Yet just 3 hours away they do! It has alot to do with the weather! Up here it is very humid (After all we live next to the only temperate rain forest in the world!) but also very cool in the winter, and never very warm in the summer (although this year has been very trying!) Well down south the weather is alot warmer and in most places almost desert like, especially if you go east over the mountians. So perhaps france is more warmish then NL ( what is that by the way?)

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='science_doc']When I was visiting the humane society last week here in Michigan there were about 6 dogs on heartworm medication. I know that all the vets here recommend year round protection and a yearly test. My vet even wanted me to start our 2 indoor cats on preventative meds, but I'm having a hard time with that decision. I have had indoor cats all my life in the midwest and heve never heard of them getting heartworm.[/quote]

Here in Ohio (adjacent to Michigan for those w/o a map handy) my vet only prescribes Heartguard April to November. They are tested each April when they begin a new course. He feel there is no reason to medicate in the winter when it's too cold for mosquitos.

Guest Anonymous

P.S.

Please no offense at defining the proximity of Michigan & Ohio. I don't know for sure where everyone is from. I'm fairly geographically challenged as to the rest of the world, and I also didn't know where NL is, nor that there is a temperate rainforest in Washington!

Guest Anonymous

Our vet put McKenzie our heartguard from may to october, he said that is the only time they are at risk, due to the fact that before may and after october it gets so cold...

Guest Anonymous

Here in Iowa, we do heart worm pills from March till Oct/Nov. Last time, I got them the 6mth shot, so they will be good year round...

:cry: I live in Arkansas and it is a MAJOR problem. If you have a dog and don't treat it...their is a high chance of it getting it.

Please remember...never give the heartworm prevention w/o having the dog tested first. If the dog is infected and you give it the pills, you could kill it.

Thank you for that informaion roo,but i do like to read up on what i can. i find some of the different complaints other people have in different countries very intresting, and then if we ever come across it i know what to look out for.
[b]but thanks again roo because i hadnt ever heard of it.[/b]

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

does anyone know of a cure for heart worm outside of the cost prohibitive vet treatment. Mothers part chow is in early stage and vet wants 350.00 she does not have that kind of money
thanks

Hello,

$350 for heartworm treatment is sky high. My Fella had heartworm this past march. We moved here from another state (where HW was prevalent, and they were on preventative) and here they did not recommend it so I didn't do it. He too was in the early stage. We went to the vet 2 days in a row for a shot. It cost $45 each time. He was very, VERY sick for about 8 weeks afterward. That's because of the drug they use to treat him with. You can't let them run or jump (tell that to a herding dog!!!!!) for 4 months after the treatment.

Needless to say now they're all on preventative. My new vet told me that even dogs that are in the house "all" the time are coming up heaertworm positive. :( Good luck!

Corgilady

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='julie45']Thank you for that informaion roo,but i do like to read up on what i can. i find some of the different complaints other people have in different countries very intresting, and then if we ever come across it i know what to look out for.
[b]but thanks again roo because i hadnt ever heard of it.[/b][/quote]

you never know when the information will become handier than you wish it would!
I remember when heartworm was a rare disease I read about that was only found in wild canids in Florida, then in some dogs in FL only and then with traveling pets who's owners had no idea they were bringing home a disease it spread everywhere here it seems.