Dogomania

Anyone care to talk Rescues?

Guest Anonymous

Boxerrescue.com is actually the website for Northeastern Boxer Rescue ( I think they only adopt dogs out to people in the New England States.)
I adopted Loki through Florida Boxer Rescue ( [url]http://www.flbr.org[/url] )
If you're interested in a rescue boxer I'm sure there must be a boxer rescue in the Seattle area. Here is a list of Washington contacts you might want to try....I'm not sure how current they are though...

-Pacific Northwest Boxer Club 13315 32nd Ave. South Tukwila WA 98168
-Jose & Teri Barreras, [email][email protected][/email] 206-242-5854
-Spokane Boxer Club 2330 S. Dishman St Mica Ra Spokane WA 99206
-Susan Bell Snohomish, WA 98223 360-691-5601 Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue Co-Rep [email][email protected][/email]
-Rene Mitten, 3516 Grant St, Vancouver, WA 98661 360-737-6510
-Liz Grauer, Vancouver, WA 360-696-4673 [email][email protected][/email]
-Cindy Josephson, 10202 NE 30th Pl, Bellevue, WA 98004, Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue-Boxer Breed Rep [email][email protected][/email]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='K']Now see thats what this board should be all about !! 2 people got together had a chat sorted out some helpful info...cool.

Nice looking dog Smooshie I bet Stiff would like a picture for his site!!!![/quote]

eeeek...sorry about the delayed response......thanks K! Yes I sent Stiff a few pics,just in case he was interested :)

• 6 months later...

I wholeheartedly support dog rescues!

I adopted Jackie (Golden Retriever/German Shepherd/Collie mix) in February 2002 after seeing her picture on Petfinder. At the time, I was taking care of my father at home through his final months of his battle with cancer. He was always a big dog lover, so I got Jackie partially so that she could keep him company while I was at work. He got to enjoy her until he was bedridden. My dad was very depressed but Jackie actually made him laugh out loud many times. And when he started getting real sick, she sensed that, and would be very careful around him. My dad passed away on April 5, 2002, and I don't think I could have gotten through that whole period without Jackie. She is my best friend.

Then I adopted Maya (Golden Retriever/Husky mix) in October of 2002, after seeing her picture on Petfinder, so that Jackie would have a sister. They bonded immediately, even sleeping together on the same sofa their first night together, and are the best of friends. They have full run of the house when I'm at work, and they sleep on sofas. And they play and wrestle and run for hours outside.

I can't imagine life without my two puppygirls. And I can't believe I was lucky enough to get two absolutely wonderful dogs from a rescue shelter. They are my friends; they are my life.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/Dogomania/jackieandmaya.msnw?albumlist=2[/url]

[quote name='GizmoRedNosePit']but when I do get my own home I plan on it! I also believe abused dogs can make the best pets! Good luck with your new one!! :) Good job![/quote]

Just keep in mind not all rescue dogs have been neglected or abused. Many dogs that wind up in shelters lose their homes because the owner is moving and can't take him/her, a couple divorces, people can't find dog friendly housing, families lose interest in the dog, etc. etc.

I'm glad you're keeping the option open to adopt! Perhaps you can volunteer in other ways for the meantime. Our group is always in search of people who are willing to help with reference checks, transports, home visits, setting up educational booths, and I'm sure the shelters/rescue groups in your area are the same way. You should check 'em out, and remember that just because you can't foster or adopt, doesn't mean you can't help out dogs in need! :)

Rachel

One of my rescued Golden-mix dogs, Maya, is deathly afraid of the hose, and I think I might have a good idea why. She was an owner-surrender, and her previous owners kept her tied outside for 8 hours a day, and she would bark all the time. As she was only 1-1/2 when I adopted her, she was (and still is) a puppy and had lots of energy. My guess is that they sprayed her with the hose to try to get her to shut up. Now that she has an older (by six months) "sister", Jackie, and a fenced yard, she can run around and play as much as she wants and she's a great dog! So there will be no cleaning Maya off with the hose, that's for sure!