Dogomania

Feeling like I don't want my dog HELP!

ajiotal

This is the first dog for me. I never considered a dog in my whole life never had the heart for animals but would not harm them in any way at all. I just got lonely one day (on my menustration which I should have know not to make such drastic decision on those kinds of days) and I saw a newspaper ad and didn't give it one thought and met the guy and bough her the next day. I have a female shih tzu. I have had her for three weeks and I am ready to give her AWAY but to a loving and senior home. Its only me living with her and she gets lonely and emotional when I am not there and when I am there I cant keep her off of me! and I am not use to this and I am getting no sleep and I am not use to taking care of some one else. I miss my alone time and my sleep and I dolove her and rush home on my breaks (even 15 minute breaks) to take her out to potty but I feel like I just am tired of all of this. Any suggestions?

:( [B]I am new here but noticed that you haven't got a answer yet. I love pet's but I am also going trough a kinda lonely depressed thing as well, from what I read you seem like you really care for her, but know what you need for yourself as well and that may be more along the lines of human companionship instead. But because you took the step in getting her you are feeling guilty in wanting to let her go, and I am "NOT" a professional, lol, but I think you shouldn't stress you or her out any further, you seem like a pretty together person to me and from your post you already have your answer. I feel you should probably give her to a "nice" person "thoroughly" investigated:lol: or even talk to someone you know and trust to take her off your hands for a while, and if after a while you start to suffer separation anxiety you have the chance to get your little sweetie back in your life and that way you will know for sure if it was a friendship meant to be! Hope I was a little help, and hang in there...:angel:[/B]

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That makes me so sad that so many people get dogs on impulse. It is a committment of at least 10 years and something that needs to be thought through. If you can't give her the love she deserves then you should put her in a shelter or give her to someone who would take good care of it, that would be best.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a dog is like having a child. You would not just give your baby up because you did not feel like changing diapers anymore. A dog is a lifetime commitment.. Atleast when finding her a new home, make sure she goes somewhere that she is not just going to be passed around again. Poor thing.

• 1 month later...

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Sounds like the little darling truly loves you. That's a shame that your wanting to give up on her, but if your not willing to give your unconditional love to her and feel she would be better off in a new home then it's probably for the best.

Things to think about are you are enabling your new pup to be spoiled and an attention seeker. I have 5 dogs and when I come home I ignore them until I am ready to make of them. My dogs have learned that they are not to fight for my attention such as crawling all over me and jumping up etc. When a dog does an action and receives the attention they want it will be a new learned behavior that will be repeated. Dogs learn from repetition and what brings them rewards. If the dog jumps all over you and you end up giving in to the dog the dog has just learned a new behavior.

What would be great is for you to read up on the NILIF policy. This way the dog learns a new default behavior such as sit to earn rewards. The dog wants attention, sit nicely is a great way to earn attention. When you leave the house the departure should be the time the dog gets a nice treat such as a Kong stuffed with cream cheese, treats etc. My dogs get a RMB when I leave and they all line up when they know I am leaving in anticipation of that wonderful bone. My home comings are not hyped up etc.

Another thing you could invest in if you plan on keeping this pup is a crate. Crate her when you are going to bed so you can get some sleep. Rescue remedy can help take the edge off and crate time should mean something positive such as a treat. The crate should mean time to sleep or time to rest. Dogs thrive on rules and like to know the do's and don'ts of the household. A dog left to it's own devices and slowly trains the owner is going to be so difficult to live with.

My 5 dogs, 2 Newfoundland dogs, Rottweiler, Alaskan Husky and Dobe mix all came to live with me as adult dogs. They all had "issues" and at first were not good house dogs. I molded and created them into perfect house dogs that make me very proud and a joy to have around. I am alone as well and my dogs really are my friends and my buddies. I love them unconditionally. They are also wonderful tools for meeting new people, getting involved in doggy things, going to dog parks, attending obedience classes and having new people in your life. Your dog should not be a burden your dog should be your joy. It's also a good way to meet new people as dogs make you more approachable
[/SIZE][/FONT]