Dogomania

German Wirehaired Pointers

skads

Hi! I'm considering the adoption of a German Wirehaired Pointer (GWP) mix. I live in an apartment and plan to exercise the dog through long walks and trips to the dog parks for socialization and off-leash running.

Unfortunately I'm doubting my choice as I've read in a few different places that GWP's aren't great for apartment living. I'll probably be in an apartment for two more years and the dog is 8 months old.

Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks!

like any hunting/sporting dog, they need exercise (lots of it) and training (lots of it). sporting dogs have minds (and noses) of their own. they want to run, to chase, to hunt. unless very well trained they are not good offleash. when very well trained they are quite reliable. but they do need running time, walks wont do it if the dog is very young. if you want a more settled one, try an older dog. oh, they start to settle down about 6....in most cases, not all.

not to put you off, but I am very glad you asked. it breaks my heart to see so many labs, hounds and sporting dogs being given up because their owners did not understand their needs.

it doesnt matter what kind of home you have the dog in, a studio apartment or a mansion..what matters is that the dog get the things it
requires to stay healthy, happy, stiimulated and exercised.

thanks for checking first.

8)

I've trained a few owners with GWHP's before and they are dogs with bound and bounds of energy. They need a lot of scope and freedom and I certainly wouldn't recommend the breed type for apartment living. I am really glad that you checked in here first and welcome to Dogo. Good luck with finding a dog to suit your needs :wink:

My show buddy/sisters housemate has a GWP. He's only about 7 months old now but is already QUITE LARGE!!!

He is actually quite good in the house, he lies around and does nothing when he is inside BUT he does spend a great deal of time outside running around with 7 other dogs, so I don't know what he would be like if he were locked in all the time! One thing you've gotta know before you get one is that they are MESSY!!! It is so gross, he eats things like yoghurt or raw chicken, and gets a yoghurt, or blood (or whatever else) beard, it gets drenched, and then he walks around the house wiping it on things! I can handle living with a Boxer, I could probably even handle living with a Newf or a Neopolitan Mastiff, but I can't handle that beard! Truely disgusting. He is a very lovable dog never the less :wink:

A friend has a short haired pointer, and he lives in an small apartment, the dog is always with him, at home, car and at his work (he has a grocery store) i really don't know why he's still living in the apartment, because he has the money to get a bigger house... anyway the dog is so happy, he's trained with basic obedience, so maybe this is the exception of the rule. by the way if you decide to get that dog please post lots of pics, i love wire haired pointers!.