Dogomania

Laur's nails....

courtnek

were WAY TOO LONG....I let them go for too long, so I took her in to be clipped. they guy was very nice, and sold me on scissors clippers that work well on hard-as-rock completely black nails....

the dremel he tried failed miserably...she paniced as soon as he turned it on...

they had a whippet adoption going on....I did not know that whippets were raced, like greyhounds...

Laur played nose greetings with the whippets, who were all very cordial and calm...hounds are SO cool....then a poodle mic showed up, and started barking at her. at first she seemed startled, then started baying.
Loud, very loud...I can easily see how this trait was developed in hunting hounds I swear you could hear that bay for MILES....not good in a store or enclosed place....

I kinda walked away mumbling "Scent hound..she bays...sorry, I know its loud..."

the whippets all stood up and stared at her.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read a journal once that had a chapter about the mechanics of various lizard skulls that can be applied here (I'm a big fan of herpetology). Basically, despite the delicate appearance, the long jaws that sight hounds have are just as powerful as that of most other dogs, enabling the whippet to effectively finish the job once it's caught up with what's it's chasing. The cranial part of a sighthound skull is also rather longish, which allows for longer temporal muscles= more jaw strength, which is needed in order to compensate for having a slighter skull.

And why? Of course if you want to be fast you'd rather not have the extra weight of a great massive head along with the more heavily muscled neck and shoulders with which to carry it around.

Yeah I hope that made sense, I owe my brain several hours of sleep that I've cheated from myself.