Dogomania

Bike riding with dog?

BuddysMom

Well we have been taking Buddy with us mountain biking for a few months now and we are all loving it.

We have the ideal trail, no motorized vehicles allowed, totally roadless, dogs allowed off leash. It's technical enough to give us a good workout in about a 4 mile loop, which we complete in a little over an hour. We do go slow on the flats and downhills for Buddy's sake, but all in all it's no faster than jogging.

Wondering if anyone else rides bikes with their dogs? Or if anyone thinks we are pushing him too hard? We took a little longer loop today, 5 miles but almost two hours to complete. I offer water about every 1/2 mile. We've been going about 3 times a week with at least one rest day between rides.

I used to ride a 20 mile bike ride along the towpath from lisburn to belfast and back again every sunday morning with Meg. I started up just doing a few miles and the pace is very important to build up gradually. Also just watch the terrain as rougher ground can skin the dogs pads which I learnt through trial and error. Bike riding with a dog is great fun and as long as you go to a reasonable pace with Buddy and have wee rest breaks, then have fun! :wink:

That's awesome! I'm sure he loves it!

I'm thinking about doing this with Buck. I think it's great exercise and a lot of fun. :-)

There are no off leash areas around here though so I need to buy a springer. We would be doing it in the city anyway. We don't have good mountain bike trails.