Dogomania

Another UTI, another visit coming up

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well I was supposed to go to the vet today, but I'll have to wait till the middle of next week when I can borrow money from my mom to take Kiani.

But once again she's peeing blood. I took her past the dog park for about a half hour to let out some energy, and she sqatted about a dozen times.
I just don't know what to do right now. I don't have a job and Kari's income barely supports us right now. And I'm scared that it's bladder stones. A lady at Kari's job said her dog had the same problem, and went to the vet, and took the antibiotics, cleared up for a little while then came back. The funny thing is, she goes to the same vet, and said he was a really good vet, and fairly cheap in the area.
I can't let this go on for too long, last time I waited way to long to take care of the situation and it probably made it worse to what it is now. It's my fault and if I was a good mommy I would've done what I should've done sooner so it wouldn't result to this.
She's already got an imbilical hernia, which isn't life threatening or anything and a wart on her right leg that I wanted removed. He told me that alone would cost up to 200$ but would make sure that it wouldn't be more, since I don't have much money. And Kari's co-worker said it cost her 600$ for the bladder stone surgery, which I'm sure they could take care of the hernia for a little more at the same time and remove the wart for no charge. But we still can't afford a 600-700$ vet bill.

I wish I knew what to do, I don't want a sick doggie. Nor do I want her to die. I love her, and she loves me. But it all has to happen a week after I loose my job. (Even before I probably couldn't afford it, but we couldv'e arrange some sort of payment plan, now there's no extra money... it's all in the gas tank).

What a tough time your having. Bad thigns always seem to come in threes. Things will get better and you will figure it out. Poor doggy, I bet she is in a heap of pain. UTI's suck. I've had my fair share. Dog's must handle pain better than me though, I can remember laying on the bathroom floor crying until my husband got home to take me to the doctor. I feel for that dog. I hope you can get her to a vet soon.

Guest Anonymous

She doesn't ack like she's in pain, but she does do a lot of licking down there and what not. My only problem is I hate not being home to let her go out often as she needs to right now. So everytime I get home, she bolts out the door and pees right there in front of the door. Generally she'll wait till I take her for a walk to do her business cause she doesn't like doing it outside the door. But home, Kari's job, the library everything is far away from each other, so I stick to coming here to the library to apply for jobs online, since it's only about 5-10 mins away from Home Depot, but home is 20-30 mins away. And with gas prices so high, we have to save every penny. We're spending up to 10$ in gas a day, but never anything less than 5$.

Guest Anonymous

I've been a whole lot worse than I am now. I just hope it doesn't turn back to that. Granted it is a few years behind me, but you never can tell.

are you giving cranberry capsules to acidify the urine?

also, decreasing the carb content in the diet makes quite a difference - especially if you are feeding a food that's fairly high in grains to begin with. quality and amount of minerals in the diet is also a concern.

if you can, increase water intake as much as possible, by adding extra to the food and giving tasty liquids like low sodium broth, watered down veggie juice and so on.

Another tip for increasing water intake:

You need something your dog really wants. For Kavik I use cardboard paper towel rolls - he loves to play with them but they get messy so he rarely gets them.

I put the roll behind a water source and encourage Kavik to drink. If he drinks he gets to play with the roll for just a short time. I can then repeat to get him to drink more. Now once in a while he'll go get a drink just to see if I'll give him a roll.

I had to start this because Kavik seems to forget to drink. And sometimes he gets a bit dehydrated.

Guest Anonymous

Well getting her to drink definatly isn't a problem. It's being home to refill her bowl. It's just that home is so far away from everything, that once we leave for the day, we don't generally go back. The library is close to Kari's job, so I come here to pass the time and fill out online applications. I also go to near-by stores to fill them out. But I try my best to limit driving time since gas prices are sky-rocketing. I mean we have to watch every penny we spend. And it's not easy when we can spend 5$ in gas a day.

Guest Anonymous

I wonder if I could find something bigger. Although she does like her bowl (it's a chill-a-bowl) so I can get it cold, and it keeps her water cold.
I used to have a automatic refill one for Moogle, but I don't know what happened to the top. That was a 2L I think. Kari wants to get one where you just screw on a 2L bottle to the bowl, but we haven't found one cheap yet.

you can also get a pet waterer, they hold fairly large amounts and aren't expensive. here are some examples:

[url=http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?web=0&tab=2&SKU=2969524052&cm_ven=nik&cm_cat=60&cm_pla=2969524052&cm_ite=2541919&CMReferringUrl=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=pet+waterer&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1]one at petco[/url]

[url=http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441775942&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025790&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1113463052320]petsmart[/url]

Guest Anonymous

That's the thing I had for Moogle. But there's a top to the container that got lost at my moms. I have the container and the dish, just missing the stupid cap, and who knows where it could be.

• 2 weeks later...

Sasha had this problem too. Here's what I learned from my vet. They can tell by doing a urine culture if there are crystals present. If there ARE, that is an indicator for the bladder stones. If there AREN'T it is a straight-up UTI. Sasha was on a 3-week course of antibiotics, really strong stuff, about 1000mg a day. It went away and came back two months later, we had her urine tested again, no crystals. My vet said that with a particularly stubborn infection, the first course of antibiotics might not completely get rid of it. So she went back on for 2 weeks and has been fine since. Have your vet test the urine's Ph before you give the cranberry capsules to see if it is indeed imbalanced, dogs can get an infection with perfectly balanced Ph and you don't want to over-acidify it.
Re: the water? I would also ask your vet about her kidneys if she is drinking so much water that you have to refill it during the day.
Good luck to you, it can be hard to deal with, but she will be okay.