Dogomania

eating to fast

kylewentworth

my 6 month old is eating to fast and every time i feed him he vomits. im feedin both dogs 3 times a day my 10 week old has no problem with it he'll sit and eat till he's full, but the older dog will eat what is left and his then it will come back up. could it be some thing with the breed that he has to eat so fast, is it time to change him to dog food im really at a loss on what to do.

I would try feeding them in separate rooms to start with. It sounds as if the older dog is guzzling his own food because he knows that the younger pup also has food. I don't know what breed your dogs are but you could also cut down to 2 meals a day for the 6 month old dog with a smaller portion or snack in between and adding water to the food if its kibble will also prevent the 6 month old from guzzling.

It does sound like a case of greediness and scoffing but if these suggestions don't work, you should of course see your vet in case there is a digestion problem.

Feeding seperately is a good idea. You can also put them in seperate crates and feed them in there. Helps with crate training too.

You can also put a hard rubber ball, sized too large for the dog to swallow in the bowl after you put in the kibble. The dog has to slow down because it has to eat around the ball. You can also spread the kibble out on a large cookie sheet and feed that way - takes the dog longer to hoover up a meal spread over the cookie sheet.

i did try the feeding in the crate at 1st but that got messy if you know what i mean even after he was outside but what about free feeding him a few people ive asked said that would work but he would be out all the time and right now i gotta go out with him till the ground thaws (getting a fence put up for him and privacy nosey neighbors) because the only time he is in his crate now is when we/he sleeps and the younger dog is in his crate 80% of the time exept to go potty or eating but other than that they are both in the living room blocked by a kiddie gate im about to give him free roam of most of the house also or is it to early to do that too

I'm confused.

You can't free feed until the ground thaws because you have to go out with him?

The younger dog spends 80% of [i]the[/i] time in his crate? I presume that is not 80% of all time but just 80% of some portion of his day like when you are not home, right?

Free feed works well for some dogs. I tried this with Zaphod but when he was a puppy he ate so much that he was constantly dangerously bloated. I had to go with controlled feeding. Tyr (a foster we had once) did eventually adapt quite well to free feed and he was originally a gulper and food agressive. With free feed, along with other training, this improved.

If you are transitioning from crating or limited access to full access I would go in stages. First of all make sure the bathrooms are closed, all paper food and garbage are doggyproofed and all laundry is out of reach too. Start with one or two accesable rooms and short periods of time and work up from there if things go well, if they don't go back and try again after a few weeks.

ok and what i ment was that if i free feed him he would have to go out more and i pretty much got bentley on a shedule morning feed him, we run then play with bandit when we get back. after noon i come home give them both a "snack" then take them out then when my g/f get's home they eat while we eat then they go back out and we play with the ball for about an hour or so. so what im askin i guess is is he gonna go potty in the house or will he hold it till i get back home after i do my running around cause a week or so ago i was gone little later than usual (car problems) and he went right by the door