Dogomania

Showdog Moms and Dads

kendalyn

[quote name='Sarahq']I dont know how many of you have experience handling very coddled toy breeds, but the screaming and throwing themselves around show is a very, very common evasive manuver. You are definitely right, that training should be fun. I was a little disapointed that the trainer wasnt using any bait to motivate the dog, but I dont think that that dog was being hurt in that instance.

Often times you have to let the dogs throw their mini-fit, give them no feedback, and when they are finished just continue on. Once they realize that it doesnt work it goes away. But they are definitely betting on that startle factor of you're hurting me! you're hurting me! to escape from whatever it is you want them to do.

I worked with an IG once whose owner had let her get away with such behavior because she felt terrible everytime the dog screamed. She effectively created a dog who screamed anytime you wanted it to do anything - even be pet when it didnt want to be, put its leash on, ANYTHING.[/quote]

I agree, sometimes, if theres a dog that I have to cut the nails on, and they absolutley hate it, the best thing to do is let them scream and struggle first for a few seconds while you hold there leg until they get it all out of their system, then they just let me clip my nails like it's nothing! :lol: