Dogomania

DONT discont the barking...

courtnek

Laurel bays to no end. it tends to make you say "SHUT UP!!!!" without checking. She has beenn baying non stop all night. I have been telling her to SHUT UP all night....SHAME ON ME...

the police are now in the neighborhood...they came to the door and asked if I had seen a man in the area. seen him? no. he tried to abduct a child..the child escaped, but cant really describe his attacker..
GOD how I wished I would have left Laurel out, and Free, to sniff him down...Laurel would have found him, Free would have held him, HARD...

HURT him if necessary....

am I wrong for feeling this way? for not paying REAL attention?

I feel so sad...

Don't worry - just chalk it up to not knowing - next time, you'll recognize that behavior and know what to do ;)

One night Ilsa wouldn't stop pacing. She must've been about 8 months odl or so. I kept trying to get her to calm down, but to no avail. I had noiced extra police activity in the neighborhood but I didn't make any connection. Suddenly, Ilsa stood stock still and froze for about 10 seconds. She then quietly trotted to the back door and stood there - watching silently - about five feet away from the door. I went into the kitchen to see what was up... and that's when I heard the back deck creak - someone was on our deck! I was amazed that Ilsa was still silent but watching the door intently. Seconds later, the doorknob jiggled, and Ilsa sprang into action. She started roaring (which is a noise that will chill you to the bone - I've only heard it a couple times, and only from Dobes) and literally hit the door with her body. I heard footsteps running off the porch andinto the night. I was shaking by that time, and made sure to reward Ilsa right away. She had actually cracked the door with the impact - and it was a 2.5" thick solid oak door!

Later I found out that a man was caught in about a block away from my house - he'd stabbed his girlfriend that night... now I don't know if the person on our deck was the murderer, but IMO Ilsa did her job.

Not to mention the time she cornered an intruder at five months of age. True, the intruder was just a young teenager, but still - that takes guys for a five month old puppy to do that! (Especially since she's from show lines, not working lines!)

good job Ilsa!!! wow, thats quite a lunge, to crack a solid oak door...
but Dobes are guarding breeds. even being show, with the way you handle her and have bonded with her, I'm not surprised she went on the defensive for you...Good dog!!

I have been seeing an argument about this on another Forum. Some people seem to think that a dog with any aggressiveness at all is a bad thing...my take on it is that we aligned ourselves with dogs because they could and would protect us....one of the reasons at least....

I was surprised that it was Laurel making the fuss, and not Free...I tend to listen when Free goes ballistic. Laurel bays at every noise, part of her hound breeding. Maybe Free thought she had it handled? :lol: :lol:

[quote name='SizzleDog']Don't worry - just chalk it up to not knowing - next time, you'll recognize that behavior and know what to do ;)

One night Ilsa wouldn't stop pacing. She must've been about 8 months odl or so. I kept trying to get her to calm down, but to no avail. I had noiced extra police activity in the neighborhood but I didn't make any connection. Suddenly, Ilsa stood stock still and froze for about 10 seconds. She then quietly trotted to the back door and stood there - watching silently - about five feet away from the door. I went into the kitchen to see what was up... and that's when I heard the back deck creak - someone was on our deck! I was amazed that Ilsa was still silent but watching the door intently. Seconds later, the doorknob jiggled, and Ilsa sprang into action. She started roaring (which is a noise that will chill you to the bone - I've only heard it a couple times, and only from Dobes) and literally hit the door with her body. I heard footsteps running off the porch andinto the night. I was shaking by that time, and made sure to reward Ilsa right away. She had actually cracked the door with the impact - and it was a 2.5" thick solid oak door!

Later I found out that a man was caught in about a block away from my house - he'd stabbed his girlfriend that night... now I don't know if the person on our deck was the murderer, but IMO Ilsa did her job.

Not to mention the time she cornered an intruder at five months of age. True, the intruder was just a young teenager, but still - that takes guys for a five month old puppy to do that! (Especially since she's from show lines, not working lines!)[/quote]
We had a similar situation when we had Blacky. My dad had a boat at the time that he had parked in our driveway just until he could get time to clear some space in the garage (storage prices at the time were sky high) well 1 night Blacky was outside in the backyard when these 2 guys came walking up our driveway and were looking at the boat like they wanted to steal something (my dad had just replaced the radio system in it) and Blacky could see them from his pen cuz it was next to the gate and since it was dark outside(guessing around 8:00) and Blacky was solid black except for a white spot on his chest but u could barely see it hence the name. Well he must have seen them reach for something and started barking no barking and snarling and he somehow managed to brake the lock off the pen and came to backdoor my mom told me to stay in the living room while she went to let him in. My dad came home shortly afterward and saw the dent in the door but we told him what happened and he went to check if nething was taken and rewarded Blacky. But a few weeks later the same guys came back and Blacky was inside and stole moms bike. There was also an incident where some whako was peeking into my friends oldest sisters room in the middle of the night and her mom saw him and he had a black dog and the police where asking every1 in the neighborhood that they saw with a black dog and she even came to the house telling us to make sure Blacky's inside at night cuz for all she knew it could have been some1 that snuck some1's dog away from the owners house(Blacky was locked up tight in the house in the living room with the doors locked)

But when we 1st moved to our current house long after Blacky's time with us we had our driveway an pathways both front and back cemented and the night we got it cemented mom and dad where out and it was just Dahlila and I home and it was very quite all of a sudden I here footsteps in the backyard and Dahlilas hiding under the coffee table at 1st I thought it was the guy who did the job comeing to see how it's drying but then I thought he'd call 1st and him of all people should no not to walk on it yet speaciely since it wasn't 48 hrs yet! My parents came home and saw me on the couch with the cordless phone in my hands and every light in the house was on and the radio and tv in the living room were all on. I told them but we had to wait till morning to see the damage. Then a few days later we got into my moms car and the glove box was opened we figured no biggie dad was just in it well that afternoon a cop comes to our door and says there have been a number of car robberies and Dahlila didn't make a noise! then just a few days ago the dogs were outside and my mom just brought Cinco in and was bringing Dahlila in when these guys come up and start talking to her and wouldn't let her bring Dahlila in and they were going on about how they used to have a lot of dogs.[quote]Had something a bit like that happen last night, just not serious. I was letting Blue out and he started barking and growling--very rare. He's deaf, so I touched his back to get his attention and said "shhh" (it was 2:30am, didn't want him to wake up neighbors and yes, I still talk to him). Well, out of the corner of my eye I saw a man walking past our house. I live in a small town, people don't go walking down the street at that hour. Period. It spooked me--some of you know about a bad experience I had. I would have been frozen w/fear had it not been for him. The guy probably meant no harm, but I'm so thankful for that big show Blue put on.[/quote]

The problem is when you have a constant barker or bayer, how do you know when there is some thing to be concerned about?
I had a neighbor who was complaining about one of my dogs. I had an outdoor kennel and fenced in yard. I would take them for a walk, then put them in the kennel for the evening (after supper) then they came in at night. My dogs barked, not a "I want to come in" or "Im bored" they just liked to bark when playing, or at any thing that moved (including blowing leaves). any how, my dogs were out and they started barking. To keep my neighbor from being annoyed I brought them in right away. The dogs did their usual barking inside the house, I thought maybe a crow flew by or a leaf fell from a tree. My neighbor was broken into that night at the same time my dogs were barking. But, and a big but here. It wasn't unusal for my dogs to bark, how was I to know my neighbor was being broken into?
Any way, my neighbor never complained about my dogs again. Oh, just as a side note, I was always a good neighbor. We were always good to not leave our dogs out too long and never past 8pm. They were just big time barkers and I liked them to run around my fenced in yard and play to get the energy out that I couldnt get out during a walk. :wink:

I don't have any chilling stories, but with regards to being able to tell if its for real, I notice a very distinct change in their barking when they think its for real vs. barking for no reason.

Its hard to describe, but we always know when they have spotted something as opposed to barking because somebody said the word "cat" or they're barking at each other because somebody's running around with a toy. There's a different intensity to it.

Zeke and Sam intermix quite a bit of growling, whereas Travis basically explodes into barks - kinda of a "Woowoowoowoowoowoowoo". Scares the crap of the deer.

BTW, we're very strict about barking outside. Having previously lived next to someone who had a dog that barked at EVERYTHING and was constantly outside, we're quite aware of how utterly miserable life can be when you live next to a barky dog.

My dogs at that time were REALLY big time barkers. At that time we didn't know much about redirectional training and and stuff to get them to be less "enthusiastik" :lol: But, they would bark at a blowing leaf just like they would bark if a prowler was sneaking around the yard. There was no difference in their barks at all. There was a big differnce between play barking, wanting to come inside barking, but it was the same barking for any thing that moved.
this was years ago when we just had dogs and never did any training. My current dogs are wonderful and quiet.
I admit I was a bad neighbor at one time. :-?

I can tell the difference in Free's barks, easily. Laurel's bay, however, never seems to change....now Laurel is not a guarding dog at all, and would probably flee from an attacker, where Free would take one head on....somaybe thats why her bay never changes. But she is very insistant on pointing things out that she hears, or smells, only she points EVERYTHING out and not just the important stuff...oh well. I guess I shold have realized when she wouldnt STOP baying (normally she will) that there was an issue. I'll pay closer attention from now on...

I can tell the difference between a bark to say, "Hey, someone is walking past the house" and "HEY....someone is ON MY PROPERTY!"

Hunter and Dakota sound different all the time.

But once....Jeremy had to get something 70's for a meeting at work (do'nt ask!). So he got a Jimi Hendrix wig and sunglasses.

He comes in the house with them on and MAN!!! I thought he was going to be eaten alive.

Dakota threw his body against mine and I fell back into the kitchen and Hunter charged him first with Dakota behind him once he made sure I was on the floor.

I have NEVER seen that before and I really wouldn't want to witness it again.....

Jeremy couldn't get the wig off fast enough!!! :D