Dogomania

Biting puppy

Guest Anonymous

yay pictures! ares is quite handsome! "i pee therefore i am" hahah i love that one with his leg lifted.

yes whenever you are training your pup you should use very salient treats (chicken, hot dog, liver, cheese, moist things work better in my experience) and things they don't get all the time -- special treats for training.

as for your girlfriend yes you guys need to both respond the same way to ares when he is being a froot loop and biting. otherwise dogs will learn who they can push and how far. they are just like kids in that aspect. it's never to early to work sit or recall so good for you. for now if you have to help him sit or come with treats that is fine you can fade the lure later. it takes hundreds and by hundreds i mean thousands haha of iterations before he will really come to know what sit means. once you think he is getting it test him by asking him to sit in another room or another place. ask him to sit while you bounce a ball. lie down on the floor and ask him to sit. sounds funny but he needs to generalize that sit is not just a position directly in front of you in the kitchen -- sit means butt on the ground no matter the environmental situation. it's fun and it lets you know how you are doing too.

i have 2 rottie babes. gaia f 3 years old diva princess and aspen m 2 years old big momma's boy. big ole clowns they are. aspen is training for therapy work hopefully with kids in some capacity since he loves kids. gaia is more a sports kind of girl. loves agility and can run and jump like nobody's business. they are night and day personality-wise.

Guest Anonymous

Kat,

he is actually a Presa Canario. They do look a LOT alike as pups though. He is also from a line that is a little leggier than most around--which is good because I like to run--so he probably looks a little taller and leaner than most other presa pups.

thanks for the compliments

Joseph

Guest Anonymous

here are some more pics that i took today

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dc02b3127cce902c51c652fe00000016109AZs2bhu3cE[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5dc02b3127cce902c6b8ed39b00000016109AZs2bhu3cE[/img]

Guest Anonymous

ok, first day at puppy class went great!

we worked on the basic manners, etc. nothing huge... the trainer did a temperament test after the class and said that he was an EXCELLENT puppy and was a great candidate for protection work.

She went on to say that she would have paid twice what I did for him. that made me feel good...

I want to have anothat trainer or two to look at him and temperament test him before i decide to do protection work....

The biting proceeds, but I think it is getting better...

Joseph

Guest Anonymous

Though you don't tell us about how and when you get the puppy probably it's bellow 8wks.

However, you've got lot's of advice here. But I will advice that you start the class earlier.

Lateef

[url]www.dog-bite-prevention.com[/url]