Dogomania

Soldier Hush!

hb1

Do you consider verbal dogs trying to be dominate?  

1. 1. Do you consider verbal dogs trying to be dominate?

k, My Ole girl Timber has never been a big barker. She would bark in the back yard if she saw the neighbors let their dogs out. She would bark at a stranger in the yard...that sort of thing. But she has never been a big barker.

My dogs in the past weren't exactly big barkers either. It was what i consider "normal". They weren't always quiet..but when they barked they had their dog reason. Cat=bark, stranger=bark, other dogs bark=bark...very very typical.

Soldier, however, seems like he's trying so hard to TALK. Before I hear all the technical stuff about dominance and any reaction is a good reaction to a dog....just hear me out. hehehe

He barks like a 4 year old child would talk!

If Timber won't play with him, he grumbles and barks. The barks are a high pitch "little puppy" bark. If Timber is chewing a toy he barks. He goes back and forth between the highpitch bark and the grumbly bark. Which I translate as him begging and then trying to initiate play...as in "I'm gunna get it...you better watch out...are you watching??? i'm gunna get it..."

If he wants Timber to love on him, he makes this nasal squeaky whine and acts like he's going to nip at her lips, but doesn't.

When he eats (I thought this was a problem but it turns out it's not) he makes what could be misinterperated as a growl. But it's more of a YumYum Growl Purr combination. I really think it's the same sound I woudl make if I had really good lobster. "MMMmmmmMMMMMM...OH YEAH!"

When i'm at the PC having coffee in the morning and he has just gone potty and been given breakfast...is all rawled up...he will try to jump in my lap and makes a "growlowlowlowl" sound. When I do actually help him up in my lap, he just licks and wants a cuddle then wants me to give him a chew toy (while he's in my lap)

When I grab him quick and kiss him nose, he makes a sound that I can only explain as cross between squeaky door and a growl. But when he's making that sound he tries to give me kisses and submitts on his back and there is all kinds of wiggling involved. Nothing that leads me to think it's a dominate-style behaviour.

He just always seems to show what mood he's in by some "verbal langauge" These aren't all growls and barks...at me or Timber...it's really coming across as TOO me and Timber. :niewiem:

Does anyone have a dog that is so Verbal?

well, educated guesses to what Soldier is runs along these lines:
Boxer mix
GSD mix
Rottie mix
Chow Mix
Lab Mix

So I figure his mother was a GSD Boxer mis and his father was a Rottie Chow Lab mix!

(There is absolutely NO way to tell unless we get Dion Warwick over here to ask her psyc friends)

But I do know he's got some measure of GSD in him. And the tale tell black spots on his tongue tell me chow chow. His paws are HUGE and webbed, which makes me think there is a sprinkling of Lab. His head has been described as Block Head, and many rottie owners see rottie in him. He was listed as a Boxer mix from the Pound I got him from, and his nose is really short and wide for any of the dogs I listed above. I could lay a fifty cent peice on his nose FLAT.

When people ask me, anymore, what type of dog he is, I tell them to take their pick, and run with it!

But sometimes I tell them he's Great Dane/Chihuahua mix :tard:

This is him on Tues (he's still drunk in this pic from surgery)
But you can see his wide nose very well
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc02b3127cce9d97f631e10b00000016109AYtXLRqzbc[/img]

This is him in his toy box (i know it's not a real toy box :lol: ) *edit...this is Sprout by the tree...I put the wrong pic in there by accident :oops: Sprout has nothing to do with this thread...but i'll leave him there now that i did that*
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc02b3127cce9d97f611e12b00000016109AYtXLRqzbc[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc02b3127cce9d97f61de12700000016109AYtXLRqzbc[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc36b3127cce9de6c08e3a2a00000016109AYtXLRqzbc[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc32b3127cce9df21989180c00000036139AYtXLRqzbc[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc36b3127cce9de6c0903a3400000016109AYtXLRqzbc[/img]

I suppose there is just as much a chance he could have husky in there somewhere, as anything else. I dont' see why not. heheheh Corgi would be harder to see. He's all paws and rotteness (in a good way) right now

Some breeds, as already stated are just pretty vocal. The nothern breeds, such as Conar, my dad's Samoyed is the most talkative dog we've ever had. He woowoos a lot. If people come over and we are talking, he has to be part of the conversation. If he wants to play fetch, he will drop whatever toy at your feet and woowoo at you. He is a dominant dog with other dogs, but never with people. He will do whatever you tell him to. Granted you usually have to phrase it as a request, like "Conar why don't you sit." instead of just saying sit, but he doesn't have any problem accepting people as "boss".

Free is a Lab mix and does everything soldier does. grumble/whine when she wants something, grumble/bark/woo woo when its time to eat, bark with a whiny tone when she wants out. Bark with a grumble when I'm petting Laurel, etc. she is very communicative, but not at all dominant towards me. When she pushes her limits one good loud CHILL OUT is all it takes.