Dogomania

Manipulative Dog

DogPaddle

Zaphod is a food hound.
I usually get up, let the boys out and then feed them. Later, if I've been out, I get home, let the boys out and then feed them. You see the pattern, Zaphod did. I go out, then I get fed. So now in the morning he goes out, comes in minutes later because he wants to be fed and then has to go out again to actually do his business later - not convenient if I'm busy in the morning or running late. Additionally if he feels that he requires extra feeding, he asks to go out, spends 30 seconds outside, zooms in and acts like a goof, freaking out around the food bowl. :lol:

actually, I got around this. Laurel is a food hound, literally. she soon learned that she got to eat after going out twice a day. then she started wanting to go out and come back in in 10 seconds, staring at her bowl.
I let her out, make her stay out for at least 5 minutes (unless like tonight when its -1 outside) and do not answer her demands to come in. Eventually she will sit down and wait. I will then open the door and call her. when she comes in I make her sit and give her a little milk bone (for small dogs). this way she is being rewarded for doing something good (coming when called and sitting) and she stopped doing the 10 second run since it wasnt working.

Good plan, just one hitch, my boys get 1 and 1 only bark outside and then they must come in because I don't want them pestering neighbours, this has stopped Zaphod from barking at neighbour children almost altogether. So if I let him fuss at the door I may be giving him mixed messages. I'm thinking I may feed him before I let him out if he doesn't seem to be too much in need of a pee.

oh I see your point. Laurel doesnt bark to come in, she jumps up on the door, which I can hear but ignore. Free will bark to come in, but she knows better than to play the food game. Laurel is much more manipulative than Free, but Free's been here since she was a pup.

Feeding first sounds like a good idea, throw off his train of thought a little.

good luck

Zaphod starts by jumping up, such a goof enthusiastic door scrabble, but he will switch to barking if that doesn't work.
So far today we have been making OK progress. He makes me laugh, sometimes he can be pretty bright and sometimes well . . . I caught him staring into the projection tv light today just standing there blinking. :roll:

I started to laugh on reading this. GOD FORBID Laurel ever "bark" to come in. Her "bark" is a long, drawn out bay...sounds like a wolf howl to the unknowing.....I'd probably end up with AC here if she did that normally...

they HAVE been here because of her bay before...one neighbor thought she was in distress or pain, and called AC and sent them over...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: