Dogomania

went to the Humane Society to volunteer...

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

Everything is finally, finally in order.

First, I left for Arkansas, then when I came back, I lent my camera to my friend, who had it for a few months. Now I'm here with a car and a camera, so I packed up and headed to the Humane Society.

The goal? [size=6] Get them on Petfinder!!![/size]

It drives me nuts that they're not on Petfinder. They're often over flowing with pets, and they have to rely on people to just go to them (which we know they don't, really - often having to see a picture in the paper or a clip on TV). So it's been my goal since early this year to get them on Petfinder, which I think is an awesome tool.

But I can't do it. Not yet anyway, the person in charge of volunteering is gone until next year!!! Ugh!!! I was so excited, lol, cleared up my camera, charged up two sets of batteries, etc. But they just gave me a volunteer app and said to bring it back. Fine... (I'm not upset, really, it was just really anti-climatic, I had hoped to at least [i]talk[/i] to someone about what I wanted to do and how I might be able to do it).

I did walk around though. I've never been there! Wow! It's so nice. Most of the dog kennels are sponsored by someone and set up kind of neat. There's a center "courtyard" of sorts where all the animal rooms connect to, and it has tables and chairs, I guess so people can bring out animals. It also has 3 or 4 spotlight kennels that you can see as soon as you walk in the HS doors. First thing I saw when I walked in the door was this beautiful Brindle and white pit mix. Wow.

I swear that half of the non-tiny-puppy dogs in there were pit bulls or pit bull mixes. 6 or 7 pure pits, all female (good for me, because I can't even consider getting a female with Sasha alive... not that I'm getting another dog, but a male would be ever so tempting ;) ). Several pit mixes. The HS adopts out pits, but Animal Control euthanizes all of them, so I was happy to see these pups made it to the former, not the latter.

Lots of kittens and puppies, and most of them had "Hold" or "Adopted" signs on their cages, so good for them. I saw a GSD puppy (maybe 5-6 months) getting a new home, and a teeny black puppy going home, too. I ended up walking behind these two girls who were looking at the Pit Bulls, too, lol. I had to keep waiting behind them for pittie love ;)

Well, I'll just bide my time and wait for after the first of the year to try again.

Good luck Mutts! I think what you want to do is a wonderful idea. I hope you can get ahold of someone soon so you can get thoes pups on Petfinder.

AllAmerica- Don't give up trying to volunteer. It took me about 5 months to even get an application to vounteer. Keep trying, they will eventually need help. :wink:

Guest Mutts4Me

Well, the person I talked to was actually the Shelter Manager. She gave me the app, and I was like, "well, what I want to do is..." because I figured the manager would be in a better position to make that decision, but she she just said that "Yeah, you'll have to talk to her about that."

So I just have to wait. I printed out the forms, so I know I need a lot of "official" info that the director/manager will have to give me, but I guess I have to go through the volunteer coordinator first.