Dogomania

Natural Balance dry food.

candy722

[quote]I would be willing to give it a whirl on my dobes.[/quote]

I wouldn't. Ilsa was on it for awhile when my vet stopped selling Natura products... I've never seen Ilsa's coat so bad. It was literally a dark *fawn* because her coat was so bad.

I do use the rolls for training though - they give her gas, but I can live with that!

Here's an example of how bad her coat got on Natural Balance:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/NB01.jpg[/img]

And here she is, back on a Natura food:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/lhartlep/100_7767.jpg[/img]

[quote name='candy722']I was wondering if Natural Balance can be compared to Wellness and Innova. I believe Natural Balance is also organic.[/quote]

NB is a nice food, but you can't quite compare it to natura products.

a side note on the term "organic":

[b]only[/b] if a food is made from all-organic ingredients it can be labeled as "100 percent organic" (or similar statement). there are no dry dog food products that are 100% organic because there are no organic vitamin and mineral mixes. they simply do not exist.

geneally, organic ingredients also appear as "organic [name]" in the ingredient list, such as "organic chicken" vs. "chicken", "organic brown rice" vs. "brown rice" and so on. pay attention to that.

to qualify for the label "organic", a product must contain a minimum of 95% organic ingredients.

the best you can currently get is natura's "karma", which is made from over 95% organic ingredients. nice food quality wise, but it has the downside of being fairly low in meat content - organic meat is expensive. i think there is only one other product that can claim as high an amount of organic ingredients, but it's even lower in meat/protein content and i wouldn't feed it to a dog without supplementing fresh meat daily.

almost all of the dry dog foods on the market that claim to be organic only have organic grain and fruit/vegetable ingredients but [b]not[/b] meats.

for the label "made with organic ingredients", a food must have at least 70% organic ingredients. if you inspect the ingredient list and see organic grains and fruits/veggies but not organic meats, you know that the food has a meat content of 30% or less. again, personally i wouldn't feed such a product without supplementing some fresh meat daily. dogs are carnivorous animals and all that grain doesn't supply what they really need. that's one of the reason why so many crappy supplements like linatone etc. sell like hotcakes, even tho they are of pretty poor quality themselves.

there are also some food brands out there that use the term "organic" or some variation of it in the name but do not contain any or only minimal amounts of organic ingredients. it's legal but to me that amounts to deceiving customers.