Dogomania

electronic fences

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can anyone tell me if there is any differnce or benefit between Invisible Fence and Petsafe brands. Petsafe says you can use regular batteries and not have to continual buy the expensice Invisible fence ones and Invisible fence says theres are better cause they don't wear down if the dog stays too close to the fence and they've been in business longer .Petsafe has one price for unltd. wire and training but is a little bit more money; but i wonder if it is worth it in case yr. dog or you don't get it.
Trying to decide.

I'm not a huge fan of the invisible fences.....some dogs can get out of them very easily. And then, they won't come back in. Why would they want to get shocked twice?

Also it keeps nothing out of your yard. That worries me. So other animals or people/kids can get in your yard and tease your dog. Even if they are tresspassing on your property and something happens.....it is still your fault.

Make sure your dog has VERY little prey drive, and take a good look at your neighbors before you decide to purchase one of those types of fences.

Guest Anonymous

obedience grrl.
What do you mean abt. making sure my dog has very little prey drive?
I am not a big fan of them also, never have had one tho. I'd prefer the old fashioned one myself but my property is over an acre and it would be very expensive to fence, probably twice as much or more as the electric fence. also The side abutting one of my neighbors would look terrible with a fence. The only part I like about them is making my dog safe to wandering out to the road. and making it so i can let him out in the backyard without worrying.

She means (I think) that if your dog has high prey drive, or for example, when it see's a squirrel it'll about break it's neck to go and catch it, or just in general it has alot of hunting instinct, that an electronic fence may not stop him. Then if he gets out he may not want to come back in (thats the why get shocked 2 times part) or something.

You got it ESS. If they see something, NOTHING will stop them. They could care less about getting shocked. They just want whatever it is they see. And once they are out, they won't come back in for fear of another shock.

You could always fence in a portion of your yard and not the whole acre. Or fence in a portion with regular fence and fence in the rest with the invisible. That way if you are not able to keep an eye on your dogs, they can be in the real fence.....and if you or your family is outside, then they can have the entire yard. I know quite a few people who do it this way.

Again, type of fencing just depends on your dog's personality. Our fence is a four rail vinyl fence. It's a beautiful fence and the dogs cannot get through it....They are way too big to fit between the rails! But, could someone stick a hand through there? Sure....if they were stupid enough to! But, if they did....and heaven forbid they got scratched, they could sue us for that! Crazy, huh? That happened to some people we knew. He had 3 boxers and would give the neighborhood kids treats to feed them. He didn't want them feeding his dogs junk. Well, one of the kids got scratched by the dog pawing at him for another treat. The kids father raised hell and threatened leagal action.....and he could have won too....It's sad. Just like if someone broke into our house and got bit, they could come after us......

Well, enough of my ranting.....Don't mean to make this a book!!!

• 1 month later...

There is actually a HUGE difference between fence brands. I agree that a regular fence is best because it keeps other animals out. But dogs can still dig under them, climb over them and they are costly. I personally have both.

But Invisble Fence Brand is far better. It's the only one I actually condone and endorse for my own dogs and for clients. Invisble Fence is unfortunately thrown around as a term like Kleenex. You may be using Puffs brand but still call it a Kleenex. So Invisible Fence often gets a bad rap thanks to the other guys.

The reasons I personally think it's better....they are the inventors and hold patents on it. So the other brands are a good ten years behind their technology. They have things like a battery back up when the power goes out, lightening protection and lifetime warranties. The batteries are only twelve bucks every three months, so battery cost is not a big issue. But also pet safe for a perfect example has a beep zone and a shock zone. A smart dog will stand in the beep zone...collar beep beep beeps until it's dead and off the dog walks. Invisible Fence brand has a warning beep. If the dog doesn't back up it will get corrected.

Inivisble Fence has a training program set up by behaviorists. Many of the others have no training program or if they do it's rather basic. If there is no training program people often have the dog almost self train itself and that's when you get dogs afraid to leave the front door. Also if you do have a dog escape problem which is rare it's warranteed and they come out and solve the problem at no charge.

I can go on and on but if you want more info I'll be happy to give it to you.

For the record, I don't sell Invisible Fence nor do I work for or have I worked for them and I gain nothing if you buy one. I have however had my company contracted to do trainings and help with the training program. I have helped train over a thousand dogs on the fence and not one of those that I have trained, no matter what breed and how much of a prey drive has gotten out. The equipment and the training program which is very safe has ways around every problem imaginable for dog escape issues.

That's my two cents.

Good luck,
Kara

i've thought about using a combination of fence and electric fence. I am having problems with my dog going over my wall around my yard. I thought he was only going over the 6 feet wall but I found out today he is also going over an even higher fence (it's atleast 7 feet wall - cement and chain link on top).

What do you guys think about that?