Dogomania

A visit to the local animal shelter...

imported_Kat

Since I was told today that I was no longer contagious with the chicken pox, I paid a visit to the animal shelter outside the city in a village called Zuidwolde. Its something I have been dying to do since I discovered the nearest one. Big mistake :( I offered to volunteer but they said they had enough. They took my details but I wasn't impressed with the shelter at all.

Its horrible. The dogs are in tiny pens with hardly any space and the noise and banging from the staff closing the doors is enough to make any dog insane. I walked in and they all went mad and I walked to the end and they were all barking and growling, except one 7 year old Golden called Fleur. Shes a typical placid old Goldie and so like my Zoe but she has horrid tats behind her ears. I tried to get out as many as possible but the poor girl needs a home. Shes miserable. This is her photo from their website.

[img]http://www.dierenasiels.com/data/326/fleur2.JPG[/img]

Another one was an Airedale type tri colour cross called Mars. I made friends with her and slipped her lots of doggie biscuits (I filled my pockets before I left home). Shes just your typical pound mutt and wants to be loved.

Opposite to Mars was a dog that stole my heart and I'm not too proud to admit later reduced me to tears. When I first walked in an 11mth old Malinois GSD cross was up at the cage and barking and growling and throwing himself at the front of the cage in a very intimidating manner. I had walked past a few times and finally it was quiet. I went over to him and didn't look at him but just talked for a while. He was still barking and growling but he was kind of wondering why I wasn't running away from his intimidation I think. I just sat with him and told him he was a good boy. He settled and he lay down and put his paw through the cage to me. That small gesture just meant so much. I read up on his card and he had a bad start to life and was abused and it said he found it hard to trust people. I just sat for a good hour and a half with him feeding him biscuits and talking. This dog is amazing. You just look into his eyes and you see such a deep soul. He wants to trust but he was hurt before and its evidently hard. One of the staff came past at one point and told me not to touch him because he was aggressive. I told her i would take my chances and about an hour later she came through again and said that he normally was very aggressive and and right enough when she walked past he was up and barking again. I tried to be nice and tell her he just needed some time and patience and she replied that he must trust me because even when they feed him, they have to put it in through a hatch.

I so wish that we lived in our own house. I'm going to go back and spend some time with Pasja. These photos don't do him justice, but here you are. That shelter broke my heart but especially Pasja. Its so unfair that animals are in these cages and not in loving homes. I was reduced to tears cycling back and I can't stop thinking about him. :( :cry:

[img]http://www.dierenasiels.com/data/326/ACFCD3.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.dierenasiels.com/data/326/ACFCD4.JPG[/img]

Reading about your experience just broke my heart. People who do the abusing should be the ones locked up in little cages, not the poor dogs. I think it's wondeful that you took the time to get to know Pasja and that he was able to warm up to you. I have thought about volunterring at a shelter but I am so afraid that it would be too emotional for me. I don't think I could stand seeing dogs locked up in cages, some of which had been badly abused. I know it is very selfish of me, but it would just break my heart and get me so frustrated. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

I guess some of yall have figured out that I work at a shelter. I have figured out that I am very lucky to work at one that is one of the best of the ones around (wouldnt work here if it werent). I am still learning the area seeing as I am still new to it, But I have been told by MANY people that come in to visit, adopt or help out that it is so much better than the others around the area. But it still gets me some days. Its not the condutions that the animals live in, they are good but would be better if they were in a loving home. More so it is the condutions that they come in to the shelter. Be it totally misstreated or totally loved it is still a major shock to them. Ive seen some of the sweet and loved dogs (said by owner) be the worst that you could just not belive it. No matter how much I tried to get them to trust me it just didnt matter, and that someone couldnt find a better way makes me so upset.... Ive seen some of them that were so mistreated that they were scared and skin and bones I work with them and they may or may not come around. I work over in adoptions alot and get to know alot of the dogs there. I want to try to find the best familey I can for them. I do care so much for them and there have been many a night that I cried for them. It is very emotional for me but I wouldnt have it anyother way. They know that someone cares enough to come and see them and treat, pet , kiss, cuddle and baby talk them. It makes their day so much better. I have so many people ask me how I do it and that is it. I wouldnt have it any other way...

It is great of you to have gone by to visit and sit with and talk to some of the dogs. I am VERY sure that you made that poor dogs day and hopefully gave him something to help build his trust and that they dont mess it all up. those people there didnt sound very careing......I just dont get how it is 'just a job' and they 'dont care'
Im not saying that all the people there dont care but Im sure that there are many people in those kind of positions that think this way and I dont see how they can.......