Dogomania

question about the bitter apple and barking...

Baileysmom

Ok I have a question - I am trying the method HF talked about to "reward" barking with bitter apple spray - but Im wondering does she need to be actually barking at the time I spray?? with bailey if I walk toward her she stops, but then starts up again if I turn away or anything. when she barks I am saying "thank you" all perky like I should, but I feel bad spraying her if shes not barking that second - but then if I dont there isnt any chance to....... :roll: what should I be doing?

If she stops barking when you walk toward her, can you lead her away from whatever she is barking at? Then positive reward for coming with you?

I'm assuming that she barks out the window. Mine do....or by a door. So if you get up, she stops, praise. Then take her with you where ever you go next. So if you are going back into the other room, call her to you and praise. Then get her attention to go elsewhere! Shouldn't be too hard with a tasty treat or a good toy.

Maybe some of those can help.....

Guest Anonymous

aww good luck with that. We keep the blinds shut in our windows so the dogs can't see out them .. at night time though Zoey will lift the blind up so she can stick her head out and make sure nothing is going to come through our bedroom window.
When she constantly barks we tellher no and make her lay down. seems to work ok with her. We too did the bitter apple in the mouth when they barked. now they only bark when they hear something or see something, but as soon as we tell them or sign to cody no they both just sit there and stare..

I'm no trainer, so maybe what I suggest won't damage their little psyches, but...

I always follow through with the "reward." I found that if I get up and head toward them, they automatically stop barking because they know that "treat" is coming, but if I don't "reward" them, they'll start right back up as soon as I turn my back. I figure their memory is good for a least a few seconds (actually, I give them more credit than that :wink: ), so even if they stop when I get up, I give the "reward," anyway, since I promised it to them n' all :wink: . It seems to go a lot further in discouraging an immediate return to the barking than the threat of the "treat." I want them to think that they're asking for that "treat," so I always follow through with it. Anything past that "thank you" or "enough" gets "rewarded."

That's how we do it here, anyhoo. :oops: