Dogomania

Raw question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Deer season is coming up and the guys at work were talking about going hunting.

As we were talking I was asking them what parts they threw away because they didn't have a use for them. They really had to think about it and I can't remember what all they said. I did explain to them why I wanted to know....I want those parts to give the dogs as treats (Or if they are as good as they say they are...they claim I should have enough to feed for a year...yeah right).

So what parts of a Deer can I feed the dogs? I figure hooves are out of the question...anything else I should be careful of?

My dogs get deer and moose meat every season :wink: I have never given my dogs the organs of the wild deer or moose. I only give the meat and bones that my brother doesnt use. For instance I have given them a whole leg to chew on and my brother has given me some great peices of meat. I feed all of the meat raw.
I was told by my brother who has been hunting for over 40 years that the liver of moose especially is toxic. I don't know about deer, but, just to be on the "safe" side I have never fed the liver to to my dogs.

:Dog_run:

Re-Run (and my family) has only had lamb and deer. I'm afraid to give my family beef. As far as organs I only give the liver and heart but they have always been cooked.

This may gross some of you out but the heart and liver is excellent sauted in butter and onion. People do it with beef all the time so why not deer?

Paula & Re-Run

I will feed the liver & Heart from Lamb & beef, the only reason I will not feed liver or internal organs including heart from deer or moose is due to toxic levels of pesticides in their system.
I was talking with my brother tonight and he explained to me in a little more detail about this. In my area of the world we have large pulp & paper mills and foresty is a major part of the economy. When maintaining large woodlots the forestry industry will use heavy amounts of pesticides. Our wild animals have to eat the foods and live in these areas so their organs become toxic. We had a women in our area who got very sick while skinning a rabbit. She cut her finger and some of the rabbits blood got into the open wound, she has become very ill. I will not feed my dogs rabbits unless they are farmed...never wild. I can't remember the name of the disease they spread but it is very dangerous.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you all so much. I'll let them know.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with Fish Scales, skin and heads. I'm scared to just give them fish because of the small sticky bones...I know they hurt like heck going down.

The reason I mention fish is because last week we had two ice chest of Red Fish, Drum and Sheepshead (Yes that last one is a fish) and well hubby had some technical problems in the cleaning and I swear the "garbage" from the fish weighed more than what I came away with!

I see where you're coming from Cassie. Around here, except in the northeast, there is very little paper milling. In my neck of the woods, most of the wooded area is actually forest preserve. It is never milled, and
if they use pesticides at all it would be to protect the trees from being destroyed by some bug. Most of them are left alone. To grow and die in a natural environment. So while I would check into it, the odds are good that the heart and liver from wild deer here have not been "poisoned"...although now that I think of it, in past years they have sprayed the areas near the parks (people areas) with mosquito repellant, so that might need looking into.