Dogomania

Calcium deposits on front legs

About a year ago my Rottweiler Athena was diagnosed with Calcium depostits on her front legs. She had been limping on and off for weeks. After numerous vet appointments and myself and the vet studying the x-rays we finally had to send the x-rays away to the local vet college. They advised me that my Rottie has calcified deposits...my vet said there is no treatment :(
I have been doing alot of research on calcified deposits and in all of my searchs I come up with zero information of what I should be doing. It doesnt seem to bother her all that much except after she has had a good run...this had lead me to modifying her actively levels and not letting her get too wound up with the other dogs and racing with them.
She also has HD, this does not seem to bother her at all.
This concerns me a great deal as she is only 5 years old and she seems to be falling apart. I do realize that both these conditions are hereditary (especially HD) the calcified deposits I am assuming are hereditary as the vets just brushed it off stating it is "common" for Rotties. My vet's only suggestion for my Rotties condition was to put her on metacam which is an anti inflammatory...I chose instead to use Yucca root which works well without ruining her liver.
My question is, has anyone here had any experience with calcified deposits? how and what have you done for your dog including diet and supplements? is there additional information I should know which has not been given to me by my vet?
I currently give her
Nutri and GCM this product contains-Glucosamine HCL, Chondroitin Sulphate, MSM, Vitamin C, Mineral Manganese
and for an anti inflammatory I use Yucca root (purchased from solid gold)
I feed her a variety in her diet including some home made meals including raw meals and partially cooked meals, she gets lots of veggies and some fruits, I give her wheat germ in her food a few times a week, canned sardines & canned wild pacific salmon, ground organic flax seeds, hemp oil, organic live yogurt, probiotics, d-enzymes, occasionally dandelion root. For her stable kibble diet which I do not feed every meal I feed her solid gold or wellness (the only good quality foods I can get around here)

Is there some thing I am missing, I hate to see Athena lame after she has played with the other dogs...and I also hate to see her miss out on having fun with the other dogs. Should I be cutting her activity level back more? or is there some thing I can do to control the pain caused by these deposits??? its so hard to keep one dog in a laid back life style while owning 5 other young dogs which want to play and run. :-? :(

[quote]I bet the stuff for her CHD is causing the deposits? I don’t know but it maybe something to think about[/quote]
MajiesMom, you are a genius! I never even thought about the supplement I am giving her...perhaps I am responsible for these deposits :-? I hate to think I have been so deligent in giving her her supplements daily only to find out I have created a far worse problem :(
The calified deposits were only first noticed about 3 years after I first started giving her these supplements.
I feel horrible about this.
Could you tell me more about hydrotherapy? I think I will stop giving her the CHD supplement for the time being and look into hydrotherapy.

[quote]Can they be removed? Do they only show up in x-rays or can you feel them?[/quote]
From the information I received from my vet, they do not remove the calcified deposits. I can't feel them and they were really hard to see on the x-ray...that is why we sent the x-rays to the vet college. We knew some thing was wrong, we just didn't know what. My vets know that if I say there is some thing wrong with my dog...there is some thing wrong with my dog :lol: last time one of my dogs was limping it turned out to be bone cancer :(

[quote]Actually my fianc

Here is a website about Hydrotherapy: [url]http://www.k9hydrotherapy.co.uk/[/url]
I don't know where you live but I've seen ads for it in dog papers and magazines in my area (Toronto).

Ryan's mother said her gout was very, very painful!
I'm not sure if she is on medication for it or if just coming off the calcium supp. and atkins diet did the trick but I'll ask her about it.

I'm not sure about the bones and amount of calcium. Maybe TDG would know? :)