Dogomania

.... Shelter Needs Help! .......

__crazy_canine__

[quote name='Straydog Inc.'][b]We've got to do something to raise enough money to hire enough people[/b]

The dog work is getting done. This includes feeding, vet visits, walks to (and play time in) the park, continuous kennel cleaning and special daily caregiving for each and every dog (including brushing, checking for ticks, hugging, petting and sweet talking). The dogs are happy, clean, healthy (or getting healthy), and they all know they are loved by everybody here at Straydog.

We don't need to hire more employees to do the "dog work." We've got a great crew. We're covered. We even do all the mowing and weed eating ourselves now, saving what used to cost us $365 per week having an outside mowing crew do that work.

Right now enough donations are trickling in to keep us about three weeks ahead, which is not a very big cushion, but at least we keep going as we always have (and always will ... somehow).

[b]The tremendous amount of office work is what's not getting done[/b]

We need:

(1) At least one full-time person searching for and writing requests for grants and doing the paperwork for the matching gift programs that many of our contributors are taking advantage of;

(2) At least one full-time person acknowledging contributions with thank-you letters and "in memory of" letters, which we're way behind on now because we have no time;

(3) A full-time person writing letters of request for donations to dog food companies and other companies selling dog supplies;

(4) A full-time person who would spend all his or her time writing about Straydog to newspapers and magazines, calling into talk radio and TV shows when the topic has anything to do with homeless animals, mentioning [url]www.straydog.org[/url], etc..

(5) A full-time computer/Internet tech (an IT person)--our webcams have been working only sporadically for the last couple of weeks, and I can't fix them, and my son, Joe, can only get down here for a few hours every Sunday afternoon. Joe fixed them this past Sunday afternoon, but they're on the blink again! The PC that runs our satellite Internet hook up is filled with viruses that have slowed it down to a crawl. Joe's trying to locate another used ("free") PC, which should fix the webcams also.

[b]People call in and email in suggestions all the time[/b]

Please go for it, I keep answering them. I'm so busy from five a.m. till 10 p.m. seven days a week (except for my Saturday two-hour lunch date with my 95-year-old father) that I'm just barely able to keep the "show" running.

We really do appreciate everyone's ideas and suggestions for raising money and making Straydog a better place, but with an office staff of none, we're scrambling each and every day just to get through each every day.
[/quote]

Ok so I know you all cant work at the shelter lol but does anyone have a computer to donate, or writing skills to write to places?

I want to help with this so I might write to the Dallas News but I would have to think about what exactly to write about. Straydog has been in the news before so I want something fresh.

I mean I feel great because if you go to the website, [url]http://www.straydog.org[/url] Im the one who got them that search engine. Im so proud. :lol:

I guess most of you wont be able to help much because youre not from around here. I suppose you could always write to dog food companies if you really do want to help us out!

Thanks even if you dont help. Suggestions for what I can do would be great. I need to come up with a topic for a news article if I decide to write. Again thanks everyone!!!! :D

Thanks yall, but thats the thing... Im not sure what they want written. I think they just want mention to get their donations up.

So.... I guess just any articles about animals could have them mentioned. Im not sure if that helps at all or if you still would want to write and what your topic would be. *shrugs* But Im glad you all want to help, thats for sure!!

Also, I want to do a fund raiser for them but Im not sure where to start. Any ideas for that?

Do you think they would like an article about the life of a shelter dog and how it gets put to sleep or how it finds a good home? If it's the good home one it could end in saying something like if you donate you will give many great dogs and cats the second chance they deserve? Is that kind of what you meant?

Guest Anonymous

i'llbe more then happy to help write the letters you talked about.. it will keep my busy while justin is away, and i work at home anyways and will be loosing my job in a few months, so i'll donate my time and write the letters! I can do the Thank You letters and the "in memory of " letters.. let me know.. email me.. or pm me

Thank you very much DAL.

The thank you letters and newsletter thing though Im not sure about... Im pretty sure they print those out themselves because Bill's old work funds free printing or something like that if I remember correctly ... but if you could, you can always try to write to dog food/supply companies to see if theyd be willing to donate! I might PM you if you want to do anything still. Again thanks!

Ok so let me make it clear just what I might do and what yall can do if you really want to.

-write to companies about making donations of money, food, and dog supplies
-write to newspapers and mention Straydog and their website
-get people to donate (paypal is a good way)

Basically just make people aware of Straydog. Most of the work needs to be done AT the shelter so we cant help with that. :( The newsletters and thank yous we cant help with (well I could if I go out to the shelter but I have no way of getting there.)

Sorry I didnt make it clear just WHAT and what NOT you all can help with. I often leave out major details in my posts! :oops: :lol: