Dogomania

Webster's second show

imported_nea

Today went to his second show, but unlike the last one with 29 dogs in total this show had over 1000! :o Needless to say it was quite different. There were several rings, the flatcoated retrievers were judged in ring 11.
Before they are let into the show area, all dogs have to have a vet check them out and they need to have had some vaccination. Webby turned 1 year old about a week ago and dogs over a year of age have to have a new vaccination. So yesterday I took the poor dog to the vet for his shot, which he didnt even flinch at. But he didnt llike the smell of the vets place. :( And today the vet didnt even ask to see the papers, so yesterdays excitment felt a bit uneccissary, although I am glad its done so I dont need to think about it again for 2 years. :)

We were pretty early so we got a good seat right by the ring, and Webby had a chance to get used to the surroundings and figure out that it wasn't going to be a big party were all the dogs could run around joyfully playing and leaping in the lake. :roll: At 9AM the judging began. The puppies went first. As they were beign judged we started talking to the person who has Webby's father (the most gorgous dog ever :loveu:) and I didn't notice that it was time for Web's class to begin. :-? So I went in feeling flustered, and then Webby decided that he wasn't interested in the hotdogs I had brought and promptly sat down. So I don't think we made a very good first impression. :oops: After the dogs had run around the ring once it was time for the induvidial evaluations, so Web and I had a few minutes to compose ourselves (or more like I did, while he sat and panted looking slightly devilish! :wink:)

Then Web's moment arrived... He started off with jumping up at the judge, who laughed. :D He licked her face and was very sweet, she thought so too. But he didnt want to stand. :roll: After that we were supposed to run back and forth, then around. Back and forth went ok except Web did a few bounces. Then I started going the wrong way in the circle so Web was blocked. After I was halfway around I realized that (with some help from Web's Dad's person :oops:) and turned around and went the right way. Then when he was going to stand in front of the judge's table while she wrote the critique I stood to close, the ring secretary pointed that out so I moved. And the little brat refused to wag his tail. He stood perfectly, but that durn tail did not move! :lol:
We ended up getting a 2. So he didnt get to compete against the others who got 1s. But I am proud of my boy, he did well considering my mistakes! :D His dad's person seemed pleased with him too, and pleased that he was entered in the show, and that makes me happy. :)

After that he got to take a dip in the lake. He enjoyed that immensly! Then we went to McDonalds, he behaved perfectly. At the show he was pretty good too after he realized he couldnt play with the others but he did pull some... :( I really need to work on that! Anyway at McDonalds he didnt pull at all and lay down nicely until the food came then he sat with his nose politely resting on the table. I reached down to give him a french fry but he thought I was planing on giving him my quarter pounder and delightedly grasped it with his mouth. I said "hey!" indignatnly and he let go right away though! Smart dog! :D On teh way home we stopped at an old burrial mound and he was pretty good there too, he pulled some but then stopped, I let him drag the leash around some and he came wehen called and all. There was a stream nearby and he almost pulled me in, but I guess he deserved another soothing dip.

Now at home he is spralled out snoozing. My silly puppy!:iloveyou: Oh yeah, I forgot my camera so unfortunatly no pics. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I didn't even know Web's been to a first show :oops: :oops:
Sounds like fun though! Just keep remembering even with those little mess ups that you are there to have fun and learn!! :D I'm sure you both will get more practice and will improve a lot more in more shows down the road :wink: And next time don't forget yer darn camera!! :o That's like a SIN!! :o :lol:

Good luck on upcomming events, and I expect TONS of great pictures, OR ELSE! :evilbat:

Next time I will make SURE to bring my camera, I promise! :wink: It is definatly great experience, and Web is noticably better around other dogs after a day of being around them, but next time I think we ought to try with another smaller show. Less confusing then! :) I've taken a look in SKK's magazine and there are about 9 shows in the next to months that I can choose from. :D And maybe next year we can start going to obedience and agility trials too, now THAT will be FUN!!! :D
Yes, isn't it amazing that he's a year old allready? It seems like just a few weeks ago that he came home... :o

• 2 months later...