Dogomania

Lamb and Fish

MajiesMom

Today for a change and because Magic is crazy about Fish I bought the Fish and Sweet Potato Wellness rather than the Super5 Chicken based one that I normally get.
I've read quite a few times that if your dog doesn't have allergies you shouldn't feed Lamb based food. Is that true and why?
Fish is kind of like Lamb - an allergy food. Is it a bad idea for me to feed my GSD that has no problems with allergies this Fish and Sweet Potato dog food?

it is generally not recommended because in case your dog does develop allergies or sensitivities at some point, he will have been exposed to the lamb (or fish) protein already and chances are high you will have to find something else as an alternative.

in a worst case scenario this could end up being something as exotic as venison, kangaroo, ostrich, emu or other hard to find and expensive things.

if you look at things realistically tho, lamb has become so mainstream (even in treats and for example in multi protein foods such as canidae) that chances of a dog being exposed are very high even if you don't regularly feed lamb based food.

fish is generally more hypoallergenic and often tolerated even by allergic dogs who [i]have[/i] been exposed to fish protein before.