Dogomania

Paw troubles

Crested

I have a little paw trouble with Bella.

I took her out a couple hours ago and she had so much fun. When we came inside I noticed that every step she took a little puddle of blood came on the floor. So I picked her up and the blood just dripped down to the floor from one of her front paws. So I washed it and noticed two small cuts on her two toes. I took a bandade and put that on it untill the blood stopped to come. Then I took it off to see if she would put some weight on the leg, but no. I thought she didn't want to put her weight on the paw because of the bandade, but I guess not... It's been about 30 minutes now since I took the bandade off and she's still "jumping" on three legs. You can't call it walking...
I'm thinking of taking her to the vet if she doesn't put weight on it untill tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do?

drjeffrock: Oh, I'm terrible with describing but I'll give it a try.
It's on the left paw and if you look at the paw from the top and count the four toes from left to right (I mean that the first toe is the furthest to the left) the cuts are on the right side of the third toe and on the left side of the fourth toe. So the cuts are there practically in between the toes. There's even a very small cut on the middle of the nail aswell, but it's not deep enough to reach the vain inside, so the blood don'g come from there. That's allso why I was thinking it must be the ice. We have a very thin layer of ice on top of the snow that cracks and brakes very easilly.

I soaked it in warm water, but doesn't salt really sting and hurt if you put that on the cuts????

I do have some Betadine antibacterial liquid that has a bit of a numbing effect (not sure why, but it does) and it's used even in surgery like nutering and sterilizing to clean the area that's going to have the operation.
At least the vet used that on Ben when I got him fixed about a year ago.

i'm a huge fan of natural healing methods, so here is what i can recommend:

keep some calendula tincture and some arnica tincture on hand and also some plain lotion or cream without any added scents or other ingredients. this will serve as a medium to apply remedies externally.

calendula: external use on wounds, scrapes, cuts, bleeding, muscle pulls. stops bleeding from wounds and is excellent for preventing infection or to treat already inflamed wounds. speeds up wound healing, seals the edges, prevents scars. mix a few drops into cream or lotion, or apply the diluted tincture.

arnica: external and internal use.
internal: as a treatment for trauma and shock (e.g. from pain), 1 drop diluted with a bit of of water directly into the mouth. dilute well because it can irritate the stomach. can be given 1-3 times a day for several days.
external: relieves pain, swelling and stiffness, for example from sprains etc.
mix a few drops (not too much, the tincture is very concentrated) with a little bit of lotion or cream and apply to the area that hurts 2-4 times daily, but do not exceed 4 applications. do not use this on broken skin, that's what the calendula is for! :)

Bella is using her paw now a little bit. If she runs or wants to go fast from one place to another, she jumps on three legs. If she walks slowly then she carefully uses the fourth paw.
I put some antibacterial liquid (the Betadine I told you about) today and it seems to have taken a big part of the pain away. Bella's very pain sensitive and Ben again don't care of small bumps etc. Bella's the kind of dog who whines for the tinyest thing. When she was a pup and Ben played with his sock toy (a squeeky toy in the end of a sock and then tied in the middle) she got hit by the head with the squeeky part. (Ben was throwling it around) She screamed and didn't want to even look at Ben for the rest of the day. I've been hit by that toy too and I know it don't hurt THAT much. I mean... I've been lying on the floor and Ben's been playing with that toy, so I've been hit in the face, on my arms, legs... Practically any body part you can think of.
And when she got her vaccination she screamed from the top of her lungs and whined still when I picked her up after it was done.
Ben on the other hand, don't even notice the suringe. :roll:

So I think I'll keep an eye on her today and if it goes worse then this then I'll go to the vet. She IS using her paw much more then she did yesterday so...
She sometimes even uses it once and a while while running too... Kind of giving extra speed. But she's not putting her whole body weight on it yet.
Well I have to thank DOG that she's very light weighted. She weighs only about 4,4kg so (not sure what that's in lbs)...

kendalyn: Oooh! THAT salt... I'm so dumb... :oops:

TDG: I'm not sure I can get all of those things here. I've not heard of any of the products you mentioned. :-?

crested, they are herbal tinctures of very common plants, i am sure you can get them. they are two things i always have in my medicine cabinet, for people as well as pets. i also take them with me when camping and hiking, as part of my first aid kit.

calendula is also known as marigold (keh

Ooh! I know those and they were very good written too! :D
I have to try and check out if I can find those...
Bella had a rough night last night... I guess the paw hurt so much she couldn't really sleep. So she's really tired now and taking naps all the time. The Betadine did miracles again.