Dogomania

Standard Poodle. Is she pregnant?

Doobers

My 3 year old Standard Poodle was bred to another Standard Poodle on feb 28. This was not expected and was unplanned.
It was actually pretty freaky...from all the male dogs in the neighborhood the only one that showed up and scaled the fence was a black male standard poodle. Our fence is over six feet tall accept the side that runs between me and my neighbor's which is 5 feet.....I figure this is where he got in. He scaled the neighbor's fence then scaled the fence inbetween me and my neighbor. he was in there mounting her when i went to bring her inside and saw. He was not as tall as her and was on the small side for a standard so i figure he must have some miniature in him. Other then being on the small side he was very well looked after...so he must have escaped his yard or something.

Anyways she was just starting to slow down in her bleeding before the breeding,i guess she was about 2-2 and1/2 into it...it was starting to turn more pink. After she was bred the bleeding was bright red and a fair amount.....2-3 days after the breeding she stopped bleeding entirely and went out of her heat.. there was no discharge from then on. She will ussaully discahrge a little for another week or more.
Also the next day after the breeding and 9 days from then on she was very hungry and eating twice as much of her dog food from what she normally does. And now, for the last 3 days she has stopped eating almost all together...only picking at her dog food. she will exept table scraps. She has gone through slight false pregnancies in the past..but barely noticeable with a slight production of colostrum (only seen if you squeeze it out of her nipple).
When she is outside she is normal and happy and when i bring her in she lays down and sleeps.
I never witnessed a tie between them but she was deffinantly standing for him and he was trying his darndest to get her..
I have put her on puppy chow the day after it happened.

Is it possible for them to become pregnant without the locking?

Do you think she could be pregnant?

Thank you in advance for your time...will welcome and hear out all opinions.

:beerchug:

The heat cycle or estrus cycle is divided into four different stages...first you have proestrus which is a preparatory period. Proestrus typically lasts five to nine days. On the first day of proestrus, the vagina becomes swollen and a bloody discharge is soon observed. During this stage, males show an interest in the female, but she will be unreceptive to them. Internally, the eggs leave the surface of the ovaries and travel into the oviducts.
The next stage is referred to as estrus. This is the active breeding phase, and will usually last from five to nine days. Bleeding from the vagina is very slight or completely absent at this point. During estrus, males will definitely be attracted to and attempt to mate with the female. The female will allow them to mount her, resulting in intercourse. In the dog, a 'tie' usually occurs in which the male and female are held together physically, with the vagina tightly enclosed around the glans penis. Ejaculation will occur and sperm cells will enter the uterus and make their way to the oviduct, where their union with the egg will result in fertilization. A tie, however, is not necessary for conception to take place. The union of the egg and sperm results in the formation of a fertilized egg, which is referred to as a zygote. This matures further, developing into an embryo and then a fetus.
So its hard to verify weather or not your bitch is pregnant...Just because a bitch was bred, does not necessarily mean she has become pregnant.
We go through this quite often when breeding the Newfoundland dogss...we even take blood tests to determine when she is ready....alot of times they do not take, and some times they will reabsorb the litter...when they are reabsorbing it is nothing like a false pregnancy...they will vomit and become lethargic...but, other than that they do not go on to a false pregnancy.
[b]Determining if the bitch is pregnant [/b]
For the first three weeks or so of pregnancy, you may not notice any changes in the bitch. Some females will become more demanding for attention, their nipples may enlarge slightly, and some may become hungrier. These are not a guarantee of a pregnancy, but are good signs. Bitches can show the same signs during 'false pregnancy,' a hormonal abnormality which occurs after a bitch has been in heat. I would also recommend that since your dog has gone through false pregnancies before you should get her spayed.
Several methods are available to determine pregnancy. A clear mucoid vaginal discharge may be seen. It is a reasonably reliable sign of pregnancy and is noticed about 4-5 weeks into pregnancy and continues until parturition. Ultrasound is able to pick up fetal heartbeats at about 28 days into gestation. This will not be able to determine the number of puppies, but can confirm a pregnancy. At about the same time, a veterinarian may be able to palpate the uterus and feel the fetuses. This may not be possible on a large dog or one that has the puppies under the rib cage. X-rays can be taken around the 60th day of pregnancy to confirm a pregnancy, count the number of fetuses, and determine size-wise if the puppies will fit through the birth canal.
I hope this information is a help...good luck. :wink: I am expecting puppies this week from one of my Newfoundland dogs.

Thank you so much Cassie...that info helped alot. I am gathering all the info i can find and yours was very thorough. And yes i agree with her being spayed and that will be arranged. I have my younger dog scheduled for his nuedering at the end of april.

LOL...yes cassie...very sneeky in deed. I must say that it was very arrogant and ignorant on my part, thinking she would be safe with 7 feet (6 and a half cause of the snow) tightly fitted wooden fence. what a bunch of little schemers they can be. We recently moved up here 10 hours away from where we used to live. which was on my father in laws farm of over 2000 acres...with more land surounding that. so i had never had a problem with her and other dogs and had kept her for three years without incident. but work became non exitant there so we moved here. my husband is doing very well for us now and we managed to by a new starter home. I am 21 with 2 young boys...a toddler and a 6month old. Though, my husband could also be considered a baby....and in some ways more difficult to care for..lol
I like to think that i have a good praticle and realistic head on my shoulder but still have alot to learn..I love to read and research different things....am looking forward to learning from you guys. I have volunteered for the spca numerous amounts of times and used to work at a vet clinic...sterilizing the tools, cleaning, disenfecting, and looking after the animals after surgery. I have first hand experience with such things as,parvo, flus, anti freeze poisoning, spayings, nuederings,and abortions. Watching an abortion really gets you. Watching the vet pull out a bunch of little sacs from the mom and tossing them into a garbage bage is quite disturbing and heart breaking. How fitting for them to end up in a garbage bag when thats what they are to more people then you would think ..garbage. Its very sad and leaves you with a guilty feeling for not doing more and for others that don't do anything. I have also hand raised and bottle fed a littler of six kittens(with the help of my mom..and find stray kittens and adults homes. My mom Always seems to get the strays.People don't give them to her...they just show up on the door step waiting for her to open the door..i'm serious, its very funny,she thinks that they must pass the word on to others..she has one right now that is a male cat with three toes on one foot. Where i grew up and my mom lives; There isnt an SPCA...so i would do volunteer work like bottle drives and gathering donated goods(blankets,toys food,etc) and send it to other SPCAs.
I hope my dog isnt pregnant...but if she is i'll try my hardest to make sure they go to good homes. I'm also planning to keep one of them. hopefully she wont have to many.

Kendalyn, I have not contacted the owner since i have know idea who the owner is. I havent seen this dog before. i know of the dogs on the block...but i havent a clue where this one came from. I'm thinking that he is strictly an inside dog with the exeption of letting him out for the bathroom. He was groomed very well with a short coat. Much shorter then my dog (it gets -50 C here) he must have got away when he was let out to pee. he hung around for 4 hours then went home...he was very cold....and when he decided to go home let me tell ya, he was running home he was so cold..... the little stinker. I also am posative that he was intact. How do i know for sure? lol...i kinda did a quick light grab...lol...yup both of his dudes were their. He was a friendly easy tempered dog for the length that i handle him. he had no tags on his coller.

no sorry neccasary :D. I wish i did know who the owner is.I'm keeping my eyes open for him...maybe i'll catch him in his yard on my outings. I will also ask my neighbors when i see them next. she has to miniature poodles...very cute and bratty. so she may know
I'm not to worried..he has got to be around here somewhere...he must be close...cause i can't see him travelling that far with it being cold and him with such a short coat. Maybe a couple blocks over

From what i have heard and read. yes it is possible for the pups to have different sires and they will look different from each other. they will be independent from each other on the dads side but will all have some of the moms characteristics. Sometimes you must get DNA testing done to determan who is who if you had to purebreds bred then a mongrel got her after...say like with a a lab and standard. the pures would look to close to the mixed babies to tell accuratley...i think...ect.

Yes that can happen to dogs. It is actually possible for the same thing to happen to a person also. :o

As long as there is an egg down there waiting to be fertilized, that egg doesn't care who the sperm belongs to!

It is rare because the woman would have to release 2 or more eggs on ovulation and she would have to have 2 different partners before her fertility period passes. Also, the first partner's sperm will have had to miss fertilizing one of the eggs. maybe that's more than anybody would want to know though...