Dogomania

help with training pit bull puppy

ebkelsey

Hey,
I would like some help and tips on training my new puppy. He is a 10 week old American Pit Bull. I started working with him yesterday. He seems real smart. Within 10 minutes I had him leash trained and had taught him to sit on command. I would like to know if there are any tips that y'all can possibly give me on training him.

Thanks for any help you can give.[/b]

• 4 weeks later...

be consistant in training. for example, if your stay command is "stay" don't expect the dog to know that "stay there" "hang on" don't move" ect. means the same thing. and make a big deal when he does what he's supposed to. pit bulls loooove to please their humans, so sometimes the praise is just as good as a treat.

and realize that training never stops. for most of the dog's life you should be reinforcing the skills he's learned. as a pit bull owner, you will face more obstacles than the average dog owner. making sure your dog is always on his best behavior is a good way to avoid a lot of these obstacles.

some general pointers:
-never let your pup be off leash, unsupervised. if you don't have an adequately fenced yard you can use for excersize, become one with your leash and say hello to long walks (when he's old enough).
-dog parks are appropriate for socialization of pit bull puppies. but you must realize that most pit bulls will have some degree of dog aggression and that an off leash dog park may not be an ideal place for him to play.
-crate train your pup. if your pup learns to love his crate, keeping him confined and out of trouble while your out will be infinitely easier!

and finally, post some pictures!!!!! good luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

socialization is key to the training. stay consitant, and just expose him to every possible thing an situation that you can. i have an american pit an i found that socialation was key. he listens, i can take him anywhere, an he is just a great dog he is 6 now an he is definitly an ambassortor of his breed.

What would you like to know?

There could be a thousand different things involved in training. Narrow it down alittle for me and I'll give you all the advice I can. I've spend hundards of $$ on books and classes for my Pit.

Although if you just getting started in obedience training I would suggest opening your phone book and calling around to all the dog trainers in your area. Get a price for there training and see what you can afford, then go and watch there classes or sessions to see if that trainer is for you (some trainers are very good but there training practices are not for me). Also don't inrole your dog in the most expencive training you can find. There is a gal here in Sacramento that trains for PetSmart ($99 for 8 week coures). I'm prob going to inrole my pit there to finish off his basic obedience. She does a better job for $99 then the guy that I've already gone through and paid $450. This is why I say shop around for a good trainer. I could have saved alot of money if I would have done this in the first place.