Dogomania

Rating Dogs w/ Children

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

Came across this site that rates different dog breeds on their reliability with kids. I was impressed because the APBT got the highest rating, but I was puzzled by the fact that the AmStaff and Staffordshire both got the middle rating, which means they're only good with kids when they're raised around them. All three say in the description that they're good with kids, and the Staffy's description goes so far as to say something like "this breed's reputation with kids is second to none."

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm[/url]

Have a look at your dog of choice and see how it's rated... and if you agree. I'm curious.

Oh yeah, and you can see some poo/doodle mixes you never even knew existed ;)

I thought what they said about Australian Cattle Dogs was fairly accurate. The ACD (bk is half ACD) is recommended for only older considerate children. A full-blooded ACD I could understand, they can be bitey and will nip people to get them into line to "herd" them. However BK is great with little kids, the only thing I'd worry about with them is he's big and boisterous and could easily knock a small child over (hell, he's knocked ME over and I'm no lightweight :wink: ).

GSD rating seems accurate. My boy loves playing with kids, in fact he seems to think he's one of them! He does however get a bit jumpy and hyper around them which could lead to accidental falls and spills. He also seems very forgiving of all kinds of kid things i.e. pushing, yelling, screaming, general crazyness.