Dogomania

junior handling

imported_nea

How do you train it? What do you need to think of?
I want to start competeing in junior handling when Webby gets old enough (9 months, only 2 more months to go! :o ) but I have no idea how to. I've watched my cousins show goats for years and I'm guessing that junior handling is a bit like fitting and showing is for goats. But I assume that there are differences with showing goats and dogs too. So how do you do..?

I was on a few competitions of junior handling.One week ago we have a dog show in our country and i compete with a four motnhs old dog,so there is no reason,why you shouldn"t compete with your dog.In our country there is a lot of rules for junior handling,but i don"t know how is in your country with this things.If you want i can send you some of this rules and adresses to websites

Nea, your best bet would be to find someone who is nearby that is familiar with show handling. It isn't as easy as it looks! Believe me I found that out with a 5 minute crash course before entering a showhandling crufts qualifier :roll: Before that I mocked it saying it was nothing compared to obedience and agility to learn but wow yeah there is so much to learn!

Get Web used to being handled all over from his mouth to his tail to his feet by you and any other person you can get the hold of. Get him used to standing. (look in the stance thread in general discussion as I outlined all the basic steps in that I think).

:wink: Good luck!

I have just found some rules:
NEVER COME BETWEEN THE JUDGE AND YOUR DOG

Always be polite to the judge, steward and other competitors, always be neat and clean in appearance and be dressed to suit and complement your dog eg if showing a black dog you would never wear black, good colours to go for are white, cream, tan or pale pastels. Also high heels and revealing clothes are not showing your dog off any better, girls are advised to either wear a trouser suit or skirt depending on how large a breed you are showing, boys are advised to wear a smart suit or waist-coat, ties are optional for preference.

Ring Turns

There are three turns which you may be asked to perform when in the ring. Remember it is most important that the dog does not stop or lose the flow of its movement.

Inward Turn - The dog and handler turn in towards one another and move off in a different direction, the handler changes the lead to the other hand. An inward turn is used when gaiting a pattern, and when because of the judges position, the dog needs to be on the handlers other side. It is mainly used in straight up and down , the

Oooh, it seems hard! :o But fun! :D Thanks for all the information. :) I wish the snow would melt here so me and Web could train outside... To little space inside. :-?
I couldn't find if it said anywhere about age requirements for the dog, but I'm pretty sure I read somehwere that its 9 months here... Even if it isn't me and Web need time to practice! :wink: But when he is somewhat ok at it and I get the hang of it too, should we enter a show even though we'll make complete fools of ourselves? Web doesn't mind of course but I might... :oops: Is it worth the embarrasment to get the experience of a real show? :P Oh, and the same question about Obedience. Should we try to compete soon after he's old enough (10 months) even though I don't think he would do so well? How well is a novice obedience dog supposed to do? :)