Dogomania

Puppy eats rags and socks...

Edgar

This morning I woke up to the sound of Blitz vomiting. I thought it was going to be fluid or grass or something else edible that upset his stomach. But to my surprise (and horror) it was a fair sized dish washing cloth! Then 15 minutes later he vomited again, this time a rag.

I have no idea where he got them from (but have suspicions) and I try my best to keep these things away from him but somehow he gets them (socks too). One time a sock even passed through with his stools. Its pretty scary. He could easily choke or clog up his stomach :(

Does anybody have suggestions on how to stop this (besides puppy proofing everything, which i'm going to do tonight)? The regular NO! and giving him something that he's supposed to chew on isn't working.

*edit* I should also add that his disobedience is growing day by day. A month ago "come here" "sit" "stay" etc were all commands he followed instantly. Now he either looks at me like he's dumb and doesn't listen at all or takes a very long time to do so.

Actually since I started basic obedience classes with him, things seem to have worsened!?

How did you find out he needed surgery?

I'm pretty sure he didn't eat more than two pieces of cloth, but how would I know for sure? *sigh* I think he (and me too) is very lucky not to have either shoked on the thing, or gotten it stuck in his tummy.

Yup I'm going to have to be extra careful puppy proofing the house.

As for obedience at home he listens maybe 35-50% of the time when treats aren't involved. 100% of the time if he thinks he's getting a treat. However around other dogs he's thoroughly disobedient unless they snap at him then he'll come back to me for a couple of seconds then run back to the other dog :P. If other dogs are involved he'll even ignore treats.

I just don't like the idea of treats simply because he will probably never listen if he doesn't see/smell that I have food for him.

There's a method of positive reinforcement (you may have heard of it) called Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF). It's a good training tool which reinforces you and your family (ie people) as alpha, and Blitz (ie dog) as beta- *below* you guys. If he wants praise and treats he has to *earn* them. Sounds like he is one smart cookie who has learned that he can get away with things. :wink: Did I mention my dog is also called Blitz and he sounds a lot like your dog?! :P :)

There's a method of positive reinforcement (you may have heard of it) called Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF). It's a good training tool which reinforces you and your family (ie people) as alpha, and Blitz (ie dog) as beta- *below* you guys. If he wants praise and treats he has to *earn* them. Sounds like he is one smart cookie who has learned that he can get away with things. :wink: Did I mention my dog is also called Blitz and he sounds a lot like your dog?! :P :)
Look at [url]http://www.k9force.net/nilif.html[/url] for more info on NILIF.

Hehe he's a handful. His best days are when he's pooped out from chasing other dogs for an hour or two.

He's a complete maniac around other dogs, yesterday an adult husky actually played with him (usually the big guys ignore him). Hehe the Husky couldn't catch him, and when he did Blitz decis he can wrestle with a dog twice his size!! Dunno if thats very smart. Needless to say he got roughed around a bit but kept going back for more...

Seemed like he was having the time of his life !

BK_BLUE - yup i've heard about the nothing for free method and do apply it on Blitz. I just have to make sure the rest of the family does as well.