Dogomania

Blitz is really sick

Edgar

My 5 1/2 month old GSD pup is really sick :( .

I took him in for his final round of shots on Saturday (Rabies and Distemper (2nd) ) plus two Drontal de-working Tablets. He was his regular self all day. The next day at around 6 am he started vomiting and had a big diarrhea accident as well.

Between 6 am - 11:30 am he vomited 6 times (the first time was actual food, the rest were all a sticky white fluid). So I took him to the vet and the gave him an anti vomit/diarrhea shot as well as some anti-histamines. I left him there for 4 hours of observation and they said that he didn't vomit after the shot.

Doc gave me a bottle of anti diarrhea /vomit/anti biotics and some "bland" food to give him for the next couple of days. The problem is he is soooooo weak right now and is not eating or drinking. He especially doesn't like the "special bland food" my vet has provided. He can walk up and down the stairs but I can tell its difficult for him. He's not barking, just wants to sleep.... But the vet said it was okay to take him home.

I'm pretty worried. How can I get him to at least drink so he doesn't get major dehydration? He licks up a little from my hands now and then but its not enough.

P.S. I'm also a little upset that I spend a few hundred dollars at the vet to have him checked up and vaccinated and instead of prevention it looks like he gets majorly sick instead.

Any helps/suggestions would be appreciated. If he doesn't improve by tomorrow afternoon i guess i'll have take him back to the vet.

Thanks mei mei I'll call the vet tomorrow and ask him about the liquid diet stuff.

Right now I have Blitz eating some yogurt out of the palm of my hand (literally!) as soon as he sees the bowl he turns and walks away *sigh*. He only eats small amounts but its better than nothing.

Guest Anonymous

edgar, you can feed him pedialyte (the clear type is best for animals). it will keep him hydrated and replace lost electrolytes.

as for a bland diet, the products veterinarians sell are usually not of really great quality. here's a link to a recipe that is balanced correctly for nutrients and will most likely be a lot more appealing to your poor little guy.

[url]http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/balanced_bland_diet_for_digestive_upset.htm[/url]

the page is written especially for great danes, but the nutritional advice linda gives is excellent for [b]any[/b] kind of dog.

Guest Anonymous

If he doesnt get better, ask your vet to put in an IV. Even though you dont know exactly what is wrong (sounds like carnovirus to me) an IV is how they treat just about everything, and it cant hurt him to do so.
Has he had his shots for Parvo, Carno, etc...??

Hmmm - I think he's had Distemper, Parvo, Rabies and Kennel Cogh vaccines + one more (not sure which). I don't think I'm going to go with any boosters in the future except Rabies.

He still isn't eating and drink a lot but he has started barking and running again (even though he's pretty weak and gets exhausted when he does it).
Compared to yesterday he seems much better.

I wonder if he picked up something at the dog park.

pwrpuf - I agree! He is a little bit of a spoiled pup but its only cuz he's so cute :) no worries though I just hand fed him that one day (had no choice otherwise he wouldn't eat). He's started eating on his own now, wolfing down his food as usual.

I do things like making him sit and stay for 2-3 minutes before he can even touch his food. Obedience classes start this Saturday, and when he does something bad we're sure to let him know.

pwrpufgirlz wrote

[quote]If food is available, dogs won't starve or dehydrate themselves[/quote]

In a well dog yes, but not in a sick dog. My standard poodle was very sick and just stopped eating and drank hardly anything at all. We tried everything to get him to eat and drink. The pedialyte didn't work, specially made foods didn't either. The only thing he would drink was a tiny bit of warm water with sugar dissolved in it. He eventually died while the vets were trying to find out what was wrong with him. Once he stopped eating he never ate another meal again.