Dogomania

Be careful

gooeydog

With the weather getting colder, a lot of places with ponds, lakes, etc are starting to freeze up. So if you live near any bodies of water, or walk the dogs near any, be careful. Dogs don't understand that while the top layer is solid, the rest isn't, and by the time they do, they've already fallen through :-?

Yes we have a conservation area within a 10 min walk of here. The place is full of small ponds, its dangerous in early winter and in early spring but once they get good and frozen it is so much fun. There is a group here that takes a truck out and plows and smooths skating paths on the ice of one of the ponds!
I reiterate the danger though. Pik fell through last year or the year before during spring thaw. Much of it was his own fault - I was on the dock with the dogs, refusing to let them go out with him. I pointed out that a wet slushy surface on the ponds did not bode well. And when he said "hey, there are bubbles coming up through the ice here, neat" I did tell him he aught to come off the ice. He made a very funny face shortly after that when he fell through. He was only about 10 ft from the dock fortunately. I had the dog leash thrown out to him fairly quick but it was so cold he didn't noticed and just brokeice/swam/clambered to the dock. Very nippy walk home for him but you know I just couldn't help laughing.