Dogomania

[b]Cocker or Corgi[/b]

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Help...ok so I want a puppy but I am having a hard time choosing between a Cocker Spaniel or a Corgi. I live in a 3 story town home and I do work all day. I really want a big dog but figured I don't have the room for one. I like the idea of Corgi's being big dogs in a small dogs body....but Cockers are just so darn cute! Any suggestions on the good and bad of these breeds?

Thanks!

If you work all day, it sounds to me like with either of these breeds you would probably come home to a destroyed house.
Cockers are hunting dogs and Corgis and herding dogs. Neither is known for being a very calm couch potato type dog. How do you feel about having a Cocker groomed VERY regularly?

Yes, a Corgi is a "big dog in a small body", but they also have a big dogs activity level. (Though I do love Corgis.)

If you like big digs, have you thought about a Greyhound or another Sight Hound?

A word of warning... Cockers are notoriously hard to potty train. I grew up with one and until the day she left us to join her sister at the Rainbow Bridge (about 3 yrs ago this month :cry: ) she still had the occasional accident in the house. Especially when there was snow outside, she was insulted by it. :roll:

Also, since you seem to be inclined to getting our opions, you think you might want to post a list of what you would and would like to have in a dog? Just a thought. :wink:

I personally am partial to corgi's. I looove them. We talked about getting one for the longest time. As far as the destruction of a house would go, there are always ways around it. Thats what they make crates for....till they can be trusted without the use of them.

[quote name='KP']As far as the destruction of a house would go, there are always ways around it. Thats what they make crates for....till they can be trusted without the use of them.[/quote]

You're right, that IS what crates are for. BUT, some dogs can NEVER be trusted loose in the house all day. (Unless they are 15yo, blind, deaf, and have no teeth. :wink: )

The size of the house is not as important as how much work you are willing to put into the dog. As was stated, Cockers hunt, Corgi's herd, and
both dogs need a fair amount of exercise to keep them stimulated and out of trouble as far as destruction goes. BGSD is right, some dogs will not take to the crate,,,Freebee wouldnt and had to be baby-gated into the bathroom during housebreaking, where she had all of her chew toys and bed in there with her. If you're willing to do the grooming, and want a more laid back dog, and a big one, consider a Golden. They require a fair amount of exercise like any dog, but they tend to be less destructive
and are happy to lay around all day if you will play with them in the morning and evening and walk them and run them. As with any dog, they will require training to teach them the house manners you want them to have, but that's the same for a Cocker or a Corgi.....
Perhaps you should check out some websites on your dog choices and find out more about them before deciding....

Good luck

[quote name='Black GSD'][quote name='KP']As far as the destruction of a house would go, there are always ways around it. Thats what they make crates for....till they can be trusted without the use of them.[/quote]

You're right, that IS what crates are for. BUT, some dogs can NEVER be trusted loose in the house all day. (Unless they are 15yo, blind, deaf, and have no teeth. :wink: )[/quote]

I will definately agree with that. Some dogs have to be crated or contained when alone their whole life...for their own safety of course. I'm amazed at how many people think its cruel to crate. To me thats like saying its cruel to leave an unmonitored baby in a kitchen outside its high chair or playpen with boiling water on the stove.

There are few dogs who don't take to the crate...those who so severe they don't take to the crate or containment, in my opinion, need things to help lower their anxiety. There are over the counter supplements such as Rescue Remedy (which are not drugs by the way, but are just as effective) that can be used for this.