Dogomania

training frustration

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I am a new dog owner and new to web based discussions! Sam is a year old golden retriever/ lab/ shepherd mix. I've had him for 2 months, and he's recently turned into kind of a terror. I am doing obedience training. Monday was my second class with him. I use a gentle leader, I make him sit before I feed him, I make sure I walk out the door before him, so I have been trying to establish the alpha dog role. But he is 75 pounds (maybe more) and he's a real handful. He pulls constantly. I've tried the "Zen" method of encouraging him not to pull with no luck. He actually pulled me off my feet and onto the ground two days ago. When we play fetch in the back yard he gets overly rambunctious and yesterday actually growled and snapped at me (in play?? I am not sure!). He jumps up. I try and shovel snow and he barks at me. He acts like a spoiled brat, even though I don't think I am spoiling him. Monday he barked and snarled at another dog in class. I am at my wits end. :oops:

I would love some feedback from other rambunctious dog owners who could give me some support here! I am really frustrated. :oops:

The only advice that I have is to excersie your dog a lot more--a tired dog is a well-behaved dog :D and your dog sounds like he's very hyper. If my monster only gets walked for one and a half hours in the morning and doesn't get at least another one-hour walk in the afternoon (which only happenned a few times), she's a terror, she bounces off the walls :lol: If she can run around and play with other dogs, she's the best behaved dog...
Now I know that you're having all kinds of problems with your dog and just started obedience--but you can't expect a fix overnight. Keep at it, and you''ll see some improvement soon :wink:
Hope some other people can add more useful advice to this...

What I have done with dogs which pull on lead...I stop, and cross my arms until my dog settles down...then off we go...of course this may be difficult for you where your dog is so large. What I have done also is taught my dogs to sit, this comes in handy when they are getting too exicted...I make them sit down and settle...once settled then we carry on with our walk. I'm sure some one else will have a much better suggestion than this... :lol: I rarely ever have my dogs on lead...I live way out in the boonies with plenty of land to hike.
Keep up with the obedience classes, rome wasn't built in a day. Be consistant with your training, keep training sessions short, do not over reward, this tends to get an extremely hyper dog too hyper, do not use punishment. As for the "nothing is free" policy, sounds as though you are on the right track there...make sure you have your dog say please for any thing good thing to happen, sit for his dinner, sit for his leash to go for a walk, have him sit before letting him out the door, have him sit to be petted or get a cookie for coming back inside.
I want to point out that you are dealing with an adolescent dog, they can really wear on your nerves, they always seem to be testing you.

Increase excercise as pei obssessed suggested. When playing fetch be sure you teach your dog "off" or some people teach "drop it" by doing this you are making your dog release the object in its mouth...I taught my dogs the command "off" to teach this I held a treat in the palm of my hand and had my dogs sit in front of me...I held out my hand palm open and when my dog went to grab for the treat I told them "off" and closed my fist...this takes time and keep at it in one sitting until he finally looks away from the treat...then tell him "take it" after he has looked away...I use this command all the time....playing tug of war if my dog seems to be winning I tell her "off" , she drops it...and just to show I am not a meany I offer it back to her by saying "take it"...but the game is over and I walk away...I have taught her that this object actually belongs to me and I control every thing that she wants...if I want her to have it I will let her have it on my terms. This comes in handy for an overly excitable dog which gets caught up in play and grabs you...the game ends and you walk away...or when my Rottie was getting mouthy I told her "off" meaning get your teeth off my arm, that is off limits!!!! :lol:
Increase socialization time; have times when you quiety pat and massage your dog...I have found that by rubbing your dogs belly, massaging legs, rubbing the dogs forehead etc. this quality social time between you and your dog can have a big impact on your bonding...my Rottie loves belly rubs so much she will fall in front of any one and roll on her back for a good belly rub...this is great because your dog is in a very submissive position...but, he is getting such a wonderful reward for it...what does a dog love more than a belly rub...touch thereapy is a wonderful tool.

Continue with your obedience classes and discuss with your trainer about perhaps going on to agility training....keeping a dogs mind occupied and busy is just as important as occupying his body.

You may also want to get your dog checked over by a Vet, I have seen some very aggressive behavior come from dogs with hip dysplasia...they are very sensitive about their hips and can get very aggressive with hyper dogs or the possibility of some one bumping into them. Thyroid dysfunction is related also to various behavior problems and inadequate nutrition is also related to behavior problems ...it has been suggested that a diet high in protein, or containing elements to which a dog is allergic, may also contribute to hyperactive behavior.....and food additives and colorants play in hyperactive behavior.

Good luck to you, don't give up....adolescent dogs were put on earth to test peoples patience! :lol:

Cassie has a very good point. Food allergies can make a dog hyper and
aggressive, even a puppy. Think about the way he behaves for a minute. Do his legs start to twitch 1/2 hour-40 minutes after eating? That's a sign
to watch for, because it is definitely allergy related. If his legs start to twitch, and then he suddenly becomes hyper or aggressive, you best think about changing his food. And even tho he may have been eating this food for a long time, it takes a long time for most allergies to develop.

Hope that helps and good luck!

:fadein: