Dogomania

Landlord's 13 year old Dachshund bit my brother.

DogPaddle

Brother was dropping off the rent check, landlord has a double flap on slot so you pretty much have to push the mail all the way through so his fingers were on the inside of their house and the little thing yanked the cheque out of his hand and nipped him good - drew blood. He'll be going by later to see if the dog has its shots . . . and if the rent check made it in one piece. Now, he won't make a fuss like some people will (but he will advise her to get a box because others might fuss) but he does sort of want to see the rabies tag or cert. personally for his piece of mind but he doesn't want to p*** of the landlady. (wow that was a horrible run on sentence) So any advice on how to handle this?

first, make sure he's had his shots. Rabies treatment is brutal....and he has no legal right to refuse the information. If he tries, call Animal Control...

secondly, realize that the dog is old...he may have not meant to bite,
he was grabbing for the mail and fingers got in the way. It may just be an accident, but you do need to verify the shot information.

Aww, I'm sorry!!!

Nice to hear he is in good spirits about it though.

Maybe he can nicely say 'I love dogs too---but someone else may not so it may be a good idea to get a box. Also, while we are on the subject, I hate to ask, because I am sure he has his shots...but for my peace of mind I would really like to see his rabies tag so I know whether or not to go see a Doctor...I am not mad or anything....just want the peace of mind, ya know?'........maybe something along that line? LOL

Good luck! Let us know how it goes ok!

I used to live in a townhouse with the mail slot in the lower portion of the door, and my dog used to grab and shred the mail too....I think they feel they are protecting their territority....

I put a metal milk box (the old fashioned ones people had back when
milk got delivered every day) on the front stoop and asked the mailman to put the mail in there. He was more than happy to do so :lol: :lol:

So maybe you can put together a nice box, that he can keep on the stoop
or attach over the existing mail slot, and present it as a gift, and while you're there, check out the dogs rabies tag. Kill two problems at once....

Well brother did go and talk to her:

Cheque is all in one piece.
Rabies vacs up to date.
She did not seem that concerned about the bite.

So I guess we'll see if we can get together some sort of box for the inside of the door. Everyone else here has mailboxes on the outside of the house but the landlords have to be inside due to the amount of rent checks and confidential info that gets dropped off.