Dogomania

What to do with a dog that don't seem to know how to drink?

Crested

Ben doesn't drink much, but I've heard that's what most of hairless cresties do, so I don't worry too much. But when he does drink, he seems to get more water on the floor then in his mouth. Bella on the other hand doesn't loose a single drop from her mouth, but when Ben drinks it seems like there has been a water pipe that has broken. Ben's two years old and he's done this all his life. Now I've noticed that he gets dehydrated sometimes, so I kind of "bottle feed" him with one of thoose things you get with mixture antibiotics... You know? Today I gave him water like five minutes ago and he drank 30ml !!! I noticed that he started to get dehydrated, but it wasn't in any way severe. Just a little, so no harm done. But still... I keep wondering... WHY CAN'T HE DRINK NORMALLY?? Any ideas? I don't mind "bottle feeding" him water, no problem. But still... I can't help wondering why.

/Crest

I was going to suggest the same thing as Michelle. A dog such as my Miles (fluffy Shih Tzu with a flat face) literally soaks up half his water bowl in his face when he drinks. He comes away satisfied but also dripping wet. The wet face then proceeds to pick up every piece of dirt and grime and turn his white face black. We let him drink out of a bowl when we are around to dry his face, but the water that we leave out 24/7 is always in a water bottle (hamster cage thingy). He doesn't seem to mind.

Many people who show their dogs use the water bottle method because it is SO much neater. I don't know if the ability to drink from a water bottle is something that needs to be taught though. Since Miles was born with a litter that was being groomed for showing, he was introduced to the water bottle well before we purchased him. It's worth a shot, maybe all Ben needs is to be shown that when he licks the funny metal thingy, water comes out, magic! Maybe putting something he likes on it (peanut butter, cheese, etc.) will prompt him to give it a lick and get the water.

good luck

I got the bottle and it's been a hit... well... for Bella anyway... To attract Ben I put some very sticky toffee on it (because Ben loves it) wich gets harder when it's left there, so it's hard to lick off. Now Bella is like glued to it, but Ben couldn't care less! :roll:
Well, hopefully he'll get the idea soon. He did take a sip from it when I held it in my hand and litterally bottle feeded him! :roll: (sigh) Well, it's a dog's life! :lol: