Dogomania

Itching, scratching, licking, fishy smelling..HELP!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi! My Tiramisu is not getting better. She is approximatley 14 weeks old and she is a mix (she's a beautiful puppy- looks like a lab, golden retriever, pit, beagle mix) I rescued her from an SPCA. She & her litter were found on the street without their Mommy. When I brought her home she ended up very, very sick--first diagonsed with kennel cough, than turned into deadly upper gi infection. (she was in the hospital for 4 days and to make matter worse, we found out that her siblings were put to sleep because of the illness)....So, she has been doing well for about 6 weeks.... Vet checked her for fleas on 9/9 and she showed no signs...she is so young he didn't want to put her on an allergy medication (for possible skin irratation) So, we left it and if it got worse he said to call.....so a week went by and she seemed she was getting worse..called vet and said possible it was the mange/worms, so we tried revolution and a couple of days later i noticed she started to smell and it was a horrible fishy smell. We took a urine sample to vet and nothing showed up...possible bacteria but no yeast etc. They put her on anitbotic-clavamox and she seemed to get releif after a couple of days, but now she is back to itching, biting, scratching, and smelling again. I also noticed her vagina seems a little swollen and a yellowish crustiness.. ..no vaginal discharge that I've seen. Her anal glands seem a little swollen too.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm so baffled and feel so bad for her. I need some answers of what it could be.

[color=green][/color]

Guest Anonymous

[color=cyan][/color] Mei-Mei thank you for your response. I think that is has been a yeast infection from the get go...i have an appt. scheduled Fri, so we will see what this vet has to say....

I named her Tiramisu, because I also love the dessert myself and because she is so sweet!

Your poor pup has been through quite a bit in such a short time frame. Healing takes time. I am curious what kind of mange your pup was diagnosed with...being on revolution I would assume it would be Sarcoptic mange...I was just curious because the other kind of mange is called Demodectic Mange and this particular mange is found on all dogs, the only ones this particular mange poses a problem to is pups and dogs with inadequate or poorly developed immune systems. As far as I know Revolution is only effective against Sarcoptic mange not Demodectic. Any way you poor little pup's body has taken quite a beating....I would defenitely be adding additional fatty acids and a good doggie multi-vitamin to his diet to help him to get over this. You could also add yogurt to Tiramisu's diet...the yogurt will be helpful in replenishing some good bacteria in the gut. Yeast infections are commonly misdiagnosed.
At the moment at the boarding facility I work at; the owner has rescued 3 dogs currently which are in very poor shape due to demodectic mange and poor immune systems, horrible ear problems...I could go on..one of the older males he is about 2 years old could not stand up on his own when we first took him in..and he had no fur on his rump or tail...he is only starting to show improvment and is standing and walking on his own now...he was neglected and starved when we rescued him, thank goodness for nosy neighbors or this would never have been reported.
Keep working with your Vet, some times a pup or dog which has a suppressed immune sytem and is trying to fight off other ailments can take a lot longer to heal than a pup which had a good healthy start on life and can cope much better...get the pup on a premium holistic dog food and add Vitamins and fatty acids...discuss this with your Vet.

I wish you the best of luck, and keep working with the pup to help him to get over this...he was not healthy when you first took him in and he has gone through much more than most....give him time.

• 1 month later...

My 22-month-old Staffy X Kelpie has extensive allergies and what you describe fits this to a T. I would definitely suspect a yeast infection and another sign of this could be if she makes you or any body else itchy or break out in any kind of rash when you have contact with her.

Zayda also had Demodetic mange and this could also be a definite cause