Dogomania

Please Help - I Need Some Advice

rufus

I'd really appreciate any advice for the following problem .......

When I take Rufus out, he insists on barking at other dogs, small children and people on bikes :cry:

The situation is gradually getting worse with other dogs, especially if they are smaller than him (I think the only reason he doesn't bark at the bigger dogs is because he's scared of them).

I don't want him getting a reputation as a 'gobby dog' plus he's growing so quickly that the neighbourhood kids are getting scared of him.

When he's quiet, I let small kids pet him and he loves it (I have kids of my own but they are not small anymore).

When he is not barking, I am constantly praising him but I really don't know how to stop this behaviour. :cry:

Any suggestions ???

Well ....... I tried the lemon juice and he really doesn't like it. It took him by complete surprise the first time and considering that I took him out twice for about an hour each time, I thought having to use it 5 times was not too bad at all.

The only concern I have is worrying about my aim in case it goes in his eyes :(

I'm going to continue using it all the while he doesn't like it so hopefully, he'll be getting 'squirted' less each time.

yes, be very careful about his eyes...also, make sure the command is something specific to this situation, NO wont do it because that's a generic command. NO BARK or CHILL is what I have always used. They respond well to CHILL because it never gets used for anything else.

It also impresses the neighbors ( :lol: ) when she's barking outside and I yell CHILL out the window and she shuts up...It's pretty funny....
The Beagle across the street bays once a barkfest starts around here
(every house for a two to three block radius has dogs, one gets started
and they all join in) and he has learned what CHILL means....

:D

I'm just wondering if Rufus is trying to chase moving objects as well as barking at them??
If Rufus is trying to chase moving objects and barking as well...first you have a herding breed which is bred to chase moving objects :wink: and also dogs are basically predators - they do get excited when they see some thing moving...especially bikes, children, small dogs (small dogs are more apt to bark at larger dogs but run away just far enough so they are out of reach)...they will mature into big chasers such as moving cars, motocycles etc.
When some thing moves quickly a dog is genetically programmed to pursue ..they are convinced some things that move may be food...if it seems scared (runs away) then its fair game to chase....what you have to teach Rufus is the things he likes to bark at or possibley chase can come back and bite him! :lol: of course your not going to have some one bite your dog..but, you have to startle your dog, teach Rufus that some things are unappropriate to chase or bark at....good things to chase and bark and get excited with are balls, and other play toys that you use during play time..
First you should teach Rufus to sit by your side and give it a command...some people like to use "by me"...have rufus sit in front of you and use your left arm holding the lead...tell Rufus "by me" and swing him around so she is sitting by your left side....go over this command until rufus does it on his own. Then after you have the command down pat have some one help you to build distractions...have a local neighborhood child come out on his bike or skate board, and be sure he has an object which makes a terrible noise...for instance a can full of rocks; as long as the object makes a really loud noise that will startle rufus...have the biker ride by, when rufus goes to chase or bark at the biker have the biker stop suddenly and give this noise or yell no very loud....tell Rufus "by me" ..this will basically teach Rufus that not all things that move quick are prey objects....some of these things may actually be dangerous..dogs do not want to chase things which are dangerous..."by me" command tells your dog what to do when it is startled...soon the dog will start to associate the command as safety from scary things.
Good luck with your growing boy...post more pictures as well...we would love to see him as he matures. :D

One more thing! :lol:
I would also during this time (while you are socializing Rufus) teach Rufus to say hello to local children etc. for example when Rufus sees a child and gets excited and you have taught Rufus "by me" I would at that point when Rufus is sitting ask children to come over and pat Rufus...always advise children to pat a dog from under the chin never to come down from above and pat the dogs head...this can be a very dominant gesture for any dog...and some dogs may even react negetively to a gesture such as a pat on top of the head.
Have Rufus sitting beside you; give a child a treat and have the child come over pat Rufus and then have the child give the dog the treat.