Dogomania

How to choose a shelter pet?

Mary's Mama

We are healing from our loss of Bo and have decided our next dog will be a rescue. We do not plan to go forward with this until we are in our new house and have a fence. Also we are unsure if we want to rescue a jack or another breed. So this is all very preliminary but I was looking at petfinder and realized I know how to pick a puppy but I have no idea what to look for in a shelter dog.

Do you all have any advice on things to look for that will indicate the dogs personality. I suppose I could use some of the puppy selecting tools, just curious if there are other signs I should look for. I would hate to adopt a dog and it not work out with the two we already have. I want to make the best decision possible.

Guest Anonymous

[b][color=darkblue][/color]Wow, so much information to cover on this topic!
If you decide that you definitely want a Jack Russell, you have two options. You can go to a JRT Breed Rescue Group or you can check with your local shelters (which usually have waiting lists for purebreds, though not always).
With a breed rescue group the rescue workers will have a lot of great information on the breed. If you aren't certain of which breed you want, you can contact any breed rescue for further information on the breed. Most of these rescues will be more than happy to talk with you and help you figure out if thier breed is the right breed for you.
Further, if you adopt through a breed rescue, most of thier dogs are probably in foster homes, which means they have a pretty good idea of the temperament of the dog and they can help you find one that will match up nicely with your home.
If you decide to go the shelter route, regardless of breed (in my opinion, mutts are awesome!), you can still expect to get some information on particular dogs in the shelter from the shelter workers, but maybe not to the same extent.
Shelters usually require owners who give up thier dogs to fill out a history with basic information on the dog, this may include if the dog is good with children and other animals, whether the dog has had any training, whether the dog is housebroken, etc. Then, there are the dogs that come in as strays, or are brought to shelters that do not require much information from the previous owners. These dogs will require a bit more discovery:).
Some of the questions you might ask the shelter workers:
*Has the dog shown any signs of food aggression towards people or other dogs?
*Has the dog interacted favorably with other dogs in the shelter?
*(for shy dogs) Has the dog become friendlier as it has become more familiar with the shelter workers?
*Has the dog shown any aggression?
*Are there any known troublesome behaviors?

If the shelter has a play area where you can see the dog, it would be a great idea to spend some time with the dog there. Keep in mind that many dogs act differently in a shelter environment than they would at home. I've known plenty of dogs that were troublesome in kennel environments, but angels in the home (one of my foster dogs barked aggresively in the kennel at animal control, but was very sweet here and now lives in a home with a child and is perfect). Stress can really bring out the worst in dogs, so its good to get them out of thier kennel and away from the other dogs for evaluation (assuming, of course, that the shelter workers deam it a safe dog).
If after you talk with the shelter workers, read whatever information is on the dog and spend some time with the dog in the play area or outside away from the other dogs, you think the dog may be a good match, you should set up a time to bring your personal dogs (if you have any) to meet the potential newcomer. Neutral areas are always best for first meetings, and of course, keep them leashed!
In general, watch the dog's body language for signs of aggression or extreme fear. Some shyness is expected, but dogs that are very fearful may require a home that is experienced with that problem.
There is a lot of items to be covered when adopting a new dog, but relying on the information from the shelter or rescue workers is usually your best bet. There are some pretty amazing dogs out there in need of a good home.
Good luck![/b]

Many groups nowadays are foster-care based. That's a good way to find a pet, because the foster parent will know a lot more about a pet that they live with than a shelter worker will know about an animal he/she sees for just a few hours a day.

Also, danyell's suggestion of being a foster parent is excellent. We fostered twice for my group and discovered that we were looking for something very different than what I THOUGHT we were looking for!

Sanvean and Danyel are right on the money. If you go to Petfinders.com
they have pictures of the dogs, their ratings, whether they are good with kids, dogs and cats, etc. You will be required to fill out an application and
meet the dog with all your family members, so they can make a good match. A lot of these dogs are fostered, which i feel is better for the dog.

Good Luck, and THANK YOU for wanting to rescue.

:angel: