Dogomania

dogs and sugar?

mydogroxy

i've been supplementing roxy's food with natural balance dog food rolls and she absolutely loves them! but i've read that they may have too much sugar to use as straight feed (natural balance maintains that you can feed the rolls alone). my question is what are the effects of too much sugar intake and would a diet made up of natural balance rolls supplemented with occassional veggies, eggs, and other "natural" foods be acceptable? roxy is such a picky eater and it pains me to see her turn away from her food. she will literally go for days without eating unles i supplement it with something or hand feed it to her. incidentally, her usual treats consist of meat products (pigs ears, freeze dried liver, etc) so there would be no additional sugar in her diet from treats.

Sugar can make dogs hyper, irritable, sensitive, not to mention overweight, and providing too many calories with little to no nutritional value. It also desensitizes the dog's tastes and he can often become 'addicted' to sugary foods.

Sugar makes for quick energy but gives the dog no longterm energy, which may make him lethargic later on and/or prone to eating too much in a day, especially if free fed.

Yeasts thrive on sugar and a dog's body is not designed to eat a lot of sugars, especially those that are refined. This can easily throw off the balance of yeasts and bacteria in the body and cause specific or even systemic yeast infections. This will especially be a problem for any kibble or grain fed dogs.

Sugars and refined carbohydrates (which break down quickly into sugars) are also thought to feed cancers, although I have not done much research into this area, but I have read it in several pretty reliable resources.

And sugar comes in all kinds of sneaky forms including beet, raw, brown, cane, fructose, corn sweetener, corn syrup, date, dextrin, dextrose, glucose, lactose, maltose, manitol, plydextrose, sorbital, sorghum, sucanat, surcrose, turbinado, barley malt, molasses, honey, and maple syrup...
Have you ever though about feeding a raw diet (BARF-bones and raw food)..I love feeding my dogs this way..I know exactely what is going in! and the best thing is not as much comes out! :lol:
You could start out with raw hamburg and ground lamb.....I havent met many dogs which snub their nose at these tasty foods! you can put roxy's veggies in the blender and then mix them in the hamburg...my dogs love their raw food...the only thing I can't get them to eat is raw chicken :-? so instead I buy ground chicken and I mince up chicken necks to put in to the ground chicken meat! I can be sneaky! :wink:

:D

Thanks for the list of hidden sugar's.

Cassie - I seriously contemplate RAW alot here recently, however, I do good to cook for myself. I do supplement with cooked meat (beef, chicken, occasionnally deer or wild hog). I will also fix them up a batch of that chicken/vegetable soup that was posted here about once a month. I use yogurt with no added anything's and stay away from dog candy (the junk dog treats), they also get bacon and eggs on the weekends. I'm also thinking about switching them from Eagle Natural to Eagle Holistic.

:angel:

although, i'm interested in a raw diet, it's just not going to happen any time soon. besides my fiance not being too keen on the idea, i am no nutritionist and would be worried about her recieving everything she needs. i'd rather feed her high quality food, where i know she's eating well and don't have to worry.

You are right Rosebud, the raw diet is not for every one..I just thought I would throw the suggestion out there.... :wink:
My dogs have done very well on the raw diet and I take alot of pleasure in making up wholesome complete meals...
I have access to Pasture-fed animals...I know where my meat comes from and I see the animals and their living areas....I have a local butcher who uses no pesticides or antibiotics, hormones etc...
I consider myself very lucky.

:wink:

[quote name='Cassie']You are right Rosebud, the raw diet is not for every one..I just thought I would throw the suggestion out there.... :wink:
My dogs have done very well on the raw diet and I take alot of pleasure in making up wholesome complete meals...
I have access to Pasture-fed animals...I know where my meat comes from and I see the animals and their living areas....I have a local butcher who uses no pesticides or antibiotics, hormones etc...
I consider myself very lucky.[/quote]

Do you want a house-guest and family, say for like the next 30 years. :lol:

It's always good to make people aware of the RAW diet and it's benefits and if that's not for them the supplements they can add to kibble diets. I believe that a dog really shouldn't be fed just kibble, they're tooooooo special to me to deprive them of the "good stuff" out there that the babies can also enjoy. I will watch their sugar consumption a little more closely now.

Rosebud & mydogroxy...your fur babies are very lucky to have you as owners (surragote mothers)....its so nice to converse with people who care so much about their furbabies! :wink:

Rosebud, your welcome to move in with myself and all my furbabies.....I just don't know what you would think of the cold Canadian winters....brrrrr

[quote]I believe that a dog really shouldn't be fed just kibble, they're tooooooo special to me to deprive them of the "good stuff" out there that the babies can also enjoy[/quote]

You are so right....variety is the spice of life! I couldn't imagine myself having to eat the same meal twice dailey for the rest of my life ...that would have me break out in hives just thinking about it....I love to eat, and I love a variety of the "good stuff" :wink: ...I imagine our dogs love a little variety in their life as well.....eat, drink and be merry! :lol:

:D

Yeah, I've always been told that if you give dog's variety you create a picky eater, well mine are not in the least bit picky, although they are huge food hounds. They got a fresh batch of bow-wow brownies last night and were just like children pacing the floor waiting for them to finish cooking, then waiting for them to cool. They knew I made them for THEM!

Thanks Cassie but I don't think my IG would care too much for Canada. She's more of a Florida girl.