Dogomania

Rocks and pebbles

stacer126

Guest Anonymous

Yes, could definately be a vitamin deficiency, and it CAN cause some blockages that would have to be taken care of with surgery. There was an episode of emergency vets on last week with a lab that ate rocks and it had an intestinal blockage. This can cause bacteria buildup and if not taken care of, can be deadly for poor doggies!

'Pica' is a term describing a condition when a dog regularly eats objects not considered a part of the normal diet. Examples include an appetite for wood, sand, metal, stones, rubber, etc. Pica is not an abnormality of the digestive system, or a nutritional problem, but a psychological abnormality.
What are the symptoms?

The symptoms simply include a history of eating objects not meant to be ingested. To have a diagnosis of pica, a patient generally does not eat the objects just once, but rather seems to be obsessed with consuming certain materials.

What are the risks?

Eating foreign objects is risky because many cannot pass through the gastrointestinal tract normally. Objects such as rocks and socks cause a complete blockage of the intestines, requiring surgery to remove them. Additionally, they may cause damage to the mouth or abnormal wear on the teeth.

What is the management?

[b]Contrary to common belief, a patient with an abnormal appetite is rarely lacking in vitamins, minerals, or any other nutrients in the diet. Pica is a psychological abnormality and is more a habit than a medical problem, even though it can lead to one[/b]. There is no real cure for pica, however, providing alternative edible objects such as rawhide bones and other digestible treats will help. In some difficult cases, a wire basket muzzle may be used on the dog. This muzzle allows the dog to pant, sniff, and even drink, but not eat. NEVER use a muzzle on an unattended animal. Some human medications can be used to treat this obsessive-compulsive disorder in dogs. Talk to your veterinarian

Guest Anonymous

Well stacer, there are a few things you can do to help curb your doggie's rock-eating habit. :) Firstly, verbal correction usually does not work, and sometimes the dogs will confuse this with attention-getting. Some dogs will develop rock-eating as a way of getting attention. Better to use something to make the rocks taste NASTY (like coating them with bitter apple and letting her take a sniff or a lick on it while it is wet) or by using a water bottle. The water bottel will be more effective on your walks because you won't have to stoop and yank every rock out of her mouth and spray it with bitter apple every 5 seconds :lol: and the spray of water in her face or on her head will not be associated with you, since it seemingly comes out of nowhere, and she will not interpret it as attention-getting from you. Hope this helps you!

I am going to try the bitter apple suggetion. We tried this stuff called Fooie (i think i spelled that wrong) supposed to be the "Bitterest Stuff on Earth" and she loved it. I called the company to say it didn't work and they had me try it. Tasted like water, I hope Bitter Apple works.

Just FYI - my old Golden used to eat rocks - chew them up and swallow them - they did find a mineral deficiency in his diet but only after I insisted they do blood work for it.

They put him on vitamins, and he never ate another rock. Sometimes the food just isnt enough for some dogs.

Iron deficiency

A deficiency in iron results in the development of anemia (lower than normal number of red blood cells). In iron deficiency anemia, the size of each red blood cell and the amount of hemoglobin it contains are also reduced. Symptoms of anemia include decreased growth rate, weakness, and increased susceptibility to stress or disease. Animals with iron deficiency may also develop constipation.

Puppies and kittens can be born with lower than normal stores of iron if their mothers did not receive adequate iron during pregnancy. Feeding supplemental iron to the mother while nursing can not make up for this lack of reserves since this treatment does not increase the iron content of the milk. Puppies and kittens with this condition often develop iron deficiency anemia during the nursing period.

Iron toxicity

If your dogs gums ever change color that would require an immediate Vet visit..White or pale gums may idicate anemia or systemic shock....if your dog has an iron deficiency then I would find out the reason...it could indicate a very serious problem...
I would also ask what are you feeding your dog....most kibbles have suffient amounts of iron in them.

The vet clinic I work at we see Pica quite often....mainly in Lab's...we have performed surgery on most of these dogs as the rocks they have picked would never make it through the digestive track...the pre-op blood tests have always come out normal for these dogs. It has always been regarded as a compulsive behavior which seems to be more so in some breeds such as Lab's and dalmations...but we have seen it in many different breeds and mixed breeds.
I would certainly have a CBC done for your dog...and if it is an iron deficiency...find out why.

Good luck to you, and I hope all comes out well...

Yes, we sell Hills and Medi-cal dog & cat foods at the clinic I work at...I myself perfer to feed a raw diet. The above foods would certainly have adequate Iron which is highly digestable for your dog.
I did speak with a freind of mine last night, his Lab had a horrible problem with consuming rocks...3 surgeries later my friend started looking at the reasons this was happening. He realized the times it happened when his dog ate a rock was when he was exicited...meeting people, dogs etc. My friend took a short leash an kept it on his Lab at any highly excitable times and he was able to keep his dog from consuming any thing. He then taught his dog "off" and "take it" when he had a rock in his mouth this training came in very handy....when he told his dog "off" his dog would drop the object and be given an extremely tasty treat which he would say "take it" (my freind had boiled liver and beef which is easy to carry around and most dogs find very tasty) I also have trained this to my dogs just in case they ever pick up some thing which may be harmful.
You also mentioned your dog is eating plants, what I did for my dogs since they love to eat plants as well...I grow wheat grass for them...they love it.

Good Luck! :wink:

To teach "off" - have a treat in your hand which your dog really loves and hold it out on your palm (have your dog sit in front of you) when your dog goes to grab it close your fist over the treat and say "off" keep doing this until your dog finally gives up (it could take awhile if your dog is really persistant) once your dog has looked away from the treat open your palm and then say "take it" ....
keeping reinforcing this exercise, it could save you alot of money down the road....my friend had spent about $900.00 Canadian for each surgery....his dog still tries to pick up rocks...but now he will drop them when my friend sees him, and then he immediately gives him a treat.
So, its not a cure all...but, it will help.