Dogomania

Old English Sheepdog

rufus

First: get you pup used to grooming, with the coat an Old English sheepdog its going to require daily brushing...if you have a hard time keeping your dog in a long coat, then get it used to going to a groomer to have a shorter trim. Once the coat mats, the mats pull on the skin making it very uncomfortable and when air cannot get under the mats (which it can't) hot spots will develop...I have seen alot of matted dogs which the owners did not take care of come into our grooming shop expecting us to perform miracles...once in awhile after shaving the poor thing down we have found to our disgust hot spots with maggots living in them! :o
our motto is at the grooming shop "humanity before vanity" so please brush your dog daily.
Here is a whole page of different articles which will help you (there are some articles on this page which will not apply to you) but check out each topic...

[url]http://www.peteducation.com/search_action.cfm?cls=0[/url]

Also, you are still within the critical period...it usually ends at around 16 weeks depending on breed....get your pup socialized with every thing during this period....get your pup used to other dogs and pups (enroll in puppy classes) at the clinic I work at we start puppy socialization classes at about 8 weeks (they require their first vaccines before enrolling)..get you pup used to noises he will hear as an adult.... traffic, riding in the car etc...another thing I always loved doing to my pups (when I had pup's)while they are so young they wobble more than walk is to take the pup out in the back yard and hide behind a bush when it is not paying attention to you....when it finds you really give alot of praise...I always found this helped when they became adults to play this hide and seek game on them...they usually will not let you out of their site...practice recalls also...and when calling your pup only call it's name once, for example : buddy,....come...if your pup doesnt respond go get him/her...as your pup gets older then you can do these recalls on lead...only say it once if him/she doesnt come pull him/her towards you...nothing worse then having a dog running around you and you are yelling at him/her to come...they don't take you seriously when your out there calling them over and over.
I'm sure others on this board will give you really good advice...I havent had a puppy myself for over 20 years (always adults for me)
check out the sites I have posted.
Have fun... :D

Thanks for the great advice. I've only had him 2 days but have brushed him on both. I've also bathed him as he stank from the bed of straw he'd been living on in the kennel. I'm not going to be 'showing' him or letting him father other litters so I will be having his coat clipped regularly.

I watched him with his sisters and he seemed to interact with them well and at the vets yesterday, he didn't seem bothered by the cats and dogs around him.

The major concern that I have at the moment is the breeder informed me that he'd had his innoculations but whilst he gave me his pedigree papers, he did not give me the paperwork for his jabs. I queried this with the vet and was told that I should have been given the records. I've since contacted the breeder again and he got quite cross and said I did not need them. I don't think I'm going to be able to have any luck with the breeder but the vet has agreed to give him his first jab next week and then continue from there.

This means that it's going to be some time before he can have more contact with other dogs and I hope it doesn't set him back at all. Of course it also means that he is confined to the back garden - time enough for playing the 'hide and seek' game you suggested :lol:

One thing you can do before he can actually meet other dogs face to face is carry him around--and take him out in the town, so that he can see other dogs, people of all ages, cars, noises, sirens... everything that he has to know. This kind of outing would be really good for him also because everybody's gonna fawn all over him and want to pet the puppy--although, be warned, this might lead to having a dog who at 9 mo still thinks she should be petted by everybody and allowed to lick faces :lol:

and sorry to hear about the bastard breeder :evil:

Cassie - thanks for the link you gave me - I've learnt a lot today. Rufus done really well in his first 'real' training session today and now knows that when I say "here" he has to come to me :D

I've got a small picture of him for now but will post some as soon as I work out how :lol:

He has one brown eye and one pear-blue but it looks pink in the pic - nevermind though, I still think he's gorgeous.

Rufus is sweet, and very lucky to have an owner who loves him so much. I can hardly wait to see some more pictures.

You were able to access the site OK? it does have alot of good information..you can also access the home page under peteducation.com and find information on worms, fleas, health problems, problem behaviors etc...its a limitless site and will come in handy if rufus ever has a problem, which all dog do at one time or another...for exam diarrhea, vomiting etc.

Have fun with your new puppy, I'm glad rufus has done so well in his first "real" training session. :wink:
I love the picture you have of rufus...looks like he's eager to please. :lol: