name:
weight:
activities(agility,shows,etc):
color:
favorite toy:
favorite place:
training tips:

Extra Info:

I hope people reply,bye!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Guest Anonymous

I have two jacks, 1 M 1 F, and no cats. Cats and jacks are bad news. Keep them seperated or the kitties will be quickly become prey.

Do you have questions about jacks or own your own?

The thing about training a jack is that they are independent thinkers. You will need to keep it fun and entertaining or they will quickly decide it is no fun and quit. Never use force, or negative reinforcement training methods. Being overly forceful with a jack can make them more aggressive than is already in their nature. So just be sure to find a trainer that uses positive methods. Also if you could find a trainer with previous terrier experience that is a plus. Many folks that have only trained larger dogs, dont understand the terrier personality and get frustrated.

I saw in your other post that you had a cocker. I think that will be helpful to you. I know cockers can be stubborn and difficult to train, not sure how much they are like jacks but it might be similar.

Guest Anonymous

Here are some articles I think will be beneficial to you.

[url]http://www.courteouscanine.com/aggression.shtml[/url]

[url]http://www.airedaleterriers.org/articles/swinyer.html[/url]

Terriers are much different than regular dogs and it really is important to understand their way of thinking, so we can communicate with them better.

I also can not stress enough how much you need to study the JRTCA website.

[url]www.terrier.com[/url]

And here is an post from a new JRT owner at another site, I thought it would offer you some interesting insight:

[quote]
Title: What has surprised me about our JRT so far.
________

Howdy all,

We brought the pup home 2 1/2 weeks ago. He is now 12 weeks old. Beast continues to be an entertaining addition to our lives. He's got plenty of energy and is a serious Alpha boy. He tests everyone in the house. Did y'all know that these JRT's are real, real smart?

First thing, the pup is smart. Scary smart... He is smarter than the labradors and pointers I've owned before. How smart are JRTs, compared to other breeds like Border Collies and such?

Second thing, the pup likes to chew, a lot, on everything. His favorite thing is shredding newspaper, it's a full contact sport for him. What chew toys do y'all use that last a while?

Third thing is spots. He started out with a few and it seems like another one pops up everyday. How long will he keep spotting up?

Last thing for new. The vocal nature of Beast is surprising. In the past, I've not allowed a great deal of vocalization, but this pup has grunts and groans, that aren't growls or challenges, he's just communicating. It's been very interesting.

I'll do my best to get some pictures shortly. He is legging out now, getting very lanky, but still quite coordinated, not at all like the lab or GSP pups.

Adios,
[/quote]

Hello, Glad to see another Jack "owner" on here !! :D
I love ya Erin, but I have to disagree about the Jack and cat thing :wink: ......
I have two Jackettes, Sassy and Maisy, and I also have a cat named Kato.
Never once have I had a problem with either one of them bothering :agrue: the cat, as a matter of fact Kato and Maisy are good buddies !! They wrestle and play with each other and they also groom each other !! :o
Part of it may be that they are growing up together, Sassy is going to be 2 in July and Kato and Maisy just turned 1 in March and April. So they were all kind of babies together. :angel: