Dogomania

possible rottie!?

sled dog musher

I rescued a dog from the shelter almost two years ago. He was just a pup and we were not sure what he was. We no there is definitely some pointer because he is tall, slim, has black spots on legs and back and points at birds but as he matures he looks more and more like a rottweiler. He lives with my grandparents and they are conserned. My grandmother is scared of pitt bulls, german shepherds and rotties. When she was a child they had a horrible reputation. He also is showing aggresion towards my uncle who lives with my grandparents and he got snapped the other day. I was wondering if you could tell me how to handle this dog since I never owned a rottie mix before. I'm scared that we won't train him correctly and he will become wicked. Please tell me how to handle this dog and how to avoid aggresion. I love the breed and I believe there are not bad dogs just bad owners. Please help me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi there! just a quick reply,but you need to find out more about how the dog lives in the house. It might be a matter of who is top dog,but hitting him is nt the answer. Your uncle needs to do things like start feeding the dog,but after he has just eaten himself,not allow him on the sette and chairs,is the dog allowed in the bedrooms? If he is considering him self as the Alpha male,then your uncle might be seen through his eyes as thrying for his place, of which he will defend.. but above all,the answer is not hitting the dog to show him who is boss, its finding out why he is behaving like this and solving it in other ways.
There is a great book called 'Think dog' it is really worth a read and will prob give you the solution! And he is also very good at stressing the point that Rotties are not the bad dog they are made out to be.
I resued a rottie (someone had actually broken his back and left him parralised!,he is fine now,up on all four legs and loveing life!) and i have a 4month old daughter,she loves him dearly and is all ways kissing him, lying on him,cuddling him! He is so gentle with her!
Anyway,sorry it was a brief msg, but get that book! It will be a huge help to you.
Good luck!!

Guest Anonymous

hi again,thought i would pop on with the author of the book i mentioned, its John Fisher.
I also re read your msg and realised that you said your Uncle was snapped at,i thought it read that the dog was slapped,hensemy reply about not hitting the dog.
Anyway, as recommended in another reply, a pro trainner is the best idea, but make suure its a good one,as heard off many 'ways' in which dog trainners "control" dogs. But do read the book, it certainly opened my eyes to the behavior of dogs and ....Dog Talk!
All the best
kirsty

Yes, I should have added that you need to exercise caution when choosing a trainer. Some old-fashioned trainers use forceful methods that don't work well and can even make matters worse.

Here's a site with some tips:

[url]http://www.inch.com/~dogs/tips.html[/url]