Dogomania

An Onion Oops.

Hi everyone!

I have a problem. :-? My less than 4 pound Papillon ate about a tablespoons worth of cooked onion by accident when someone was watching him (while I turned my back for less than 30 seconds... I'll never do that again! :( )

I know onions are toxic in any form for dogs and cats. I know it can cause anemia. Or kidney failure. Or worse.

It's almost 8pm on a Saturday and there aren't any vet hospitals open. (I was going to call and just ask what I should do.) But that's not an option now.

Do you have any adice? Am I over reacting? I don't know how much is "too much" for my toy dog. Sometimes it takes 5 or more days to even see a result.

Ahh... I'm scared and an overly protective Mom. :o

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Colleen

Here is a site that will help you, in my house my dogs have been given onions by other family members by mistake...nice hamburg off the BBQ with lots of onions fried on top...of course I have BIG dogs and they were not affected...garlic is also not supposed to be good to give to dogs according to most Vets...but alot of people recommend giving garlic to dogs to help boost immunity towards fleas etc...Onions & Garlic (raw, cooked or powder form) contain sulfoxides & disulfides which can cause anemia, cats are more susceptible than dogs..garlic is less toxic than onions.

[url]http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1935&articleid=2414[/url]

One thing that concerns me is that your dog possibly has sarcoptes mites, or severe allergies...and is being treated for both...I would definatley make an appointment to have your little Papillon looked over with possible blood work to be sure your baby is not anemic due to the onions and the lowered immunity levels at this time.

Thank you Cassie! :D Fortunately, Colby shows none of the symptoms they list. He's quite active, eating well, not throwing up etc.

He's going back to the vet in a week for a check up on the mange. Maybe I'll ask about the blood work then to make sure all it well.

Thanks again!