Dogomania

Astrology & Hip Dysplasia?

This is quoted from the news letter Dog watch put out by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.

[quote]Month of Birth may affect Hip Dysplasia, a new study in England has reported the month when the pups of some "active breeds" are born might be almost as important as genetic inheritance in developing or averting the arthritic disorder, hip dysplasia.
Researchers in the Epidemiology Unit of Animals Health in Suffolk, England reviewed the records of more than 29,000 dogs for their study, titled "Effect of month of birth on hip dysplasia in Labrador retrievers and Gordon Setters...as expected, pups whose parents had "good" hip test scores were much less likely to develop hip dysplasia. While the time of year when young dogs were tested for hip dysplasia had no bearing on the outcome, researchers were surprised to find that dogs born in summer or fall had significantly less hip dysplasia than dogs born in spring or winter...A partial explanation is the best researchers can offer. "Whatever season they're born in, pups of some active breeds need daily, outdoor exercise to build muscular strength and elasticity during the critical, early months of development . If winter weather prevents vigorous exercise, when the pups do get outside they "may easily damage their hip ligaments when running free on hard, frozen ground," the researchers speculated. For pups born in the summer, they added, the ground is soft and less likely to cause damage. [/quote]

Yes it would not be applicable in countries where it is warm all year round...but here in Canada! we get winter!
I have just found that working in a kennel which breeds large breeds and having alot of friends with large active breeds...hip dysplasia seems to be getting more and more even in OFA certified sire & dam.. And what I found really interesting about this article is that the dogs which I know which have hip dysplasia have been born in the winter and spring (if it rains alot in the spring, who wants to keep their new pups outside playing and getting fresh air) from parents which were certified (OFA)...my Rottweiler has HD and was born in the month of December....etc...genetics, inbreeding, exercise all have alot to do with HD.